Best practice forum (Archived)

Dynamic Audience and Learning Plans

Susan Neumans Van Buren
Dynamic Audience and Learning Plans
by Susan Neumans Van Buren - Friday, 6 January 2017, 7:04 AM

We are on Version 2.9.7 (Build: 20160523.00). I have been trying to set up a learning plan (New Employee Onboarding) for a dynamic audience that is set to include everyone hired after a certain date. What I would like is a fully populated learning plan that includes the competencies and related courses to be included in all the newcomers' learning plan page.

What I've done so far:

-Mapped the courses to the new employee competencies

-Set up the dynamic new employee audience

-Created a learning plan template with the desired parameters 

All that shows up is an empty template shell with no competencies or their related courses. What I don't know how to do is to include the competencies and linked courses to the specific learning plan template or audience. I know how to do it individually for each employee, but am trying to make it an automatic process. 

Best regards,

Susan 

Tammy Frame
Re: Dynamic Audience and Learning Plans
by Tammy Frame - Friday, 6 January 2017, 7:26 AM
Group Totara

I think what you want to do is create a Learning Plan Template at the site level (Site Admin > Learning Plans > Manage Templates). Then you create your template with associated courses/competencies. 

Next you can push the templates out to individuals or different audiences (Site Admin > Users > Audiences). Under the Learning Plan Tab you can pull down your Learning Plan Template and assign it to that audience.

Susan Neumans Van Buren
by Susan Neumans Van Buren - Friday, 6 January 2017, 10:09 AM

Thank you so much for the quick response. I've actually done that part. How do I add the competencies and/or courses to the template? I don't see where it gives me that opportunity in the manage template feature. 

me
by George Angus - Monday, 9 January 2017, 6:43 PM
Group Totara

Hi Susan,

The template uses positions to determine relevant competencies, and so courses for the user. 

You add the competencies to the a position in the Position Hierarchy (each user should be assigned a position), so this means you can use the same template across various positions. If you like the competencies are associated with the users level - say a manager, team leader etc and the competencies themselves are associated with courses - in this way you can use the same template to assign relevant courses to particular learners who have a particular position within the company.

Its possible to assign users to a particular position in the hierarchy using Totara Sync.

Hope this is clear!

cheers,

George.

Susan Neumans Van Buren
by Susan Neumans Van Buren - Wednesday, 11 January 2017, 10:57 AM

Thank you very much. I'll give it a try.

David
by David Shaw - Tuesday, 10 January 2017, 1:39 AM

Hi Susan,

Learning Plans are not really suited to doing what you are trying to do.  They are really meant for self created learning plans where the learner or the manager agrees to what they want to do and manually add the courses, competencies to the plan.  Possibly used as part of the annual review process.

Induction programmes are generally handled much better by the program functionality where completion dates and reminders can be configured.

David

Susan Neumans Van Buren
by Susan Neumans Van Buren - Wednesday, 11 January 2017, 10:57 AM

Thank you!