Best practice forum (Archived)

Site Manager - Attempt Quiz

Michelle Lamont
Site Manager - Attempt Quiz
by Michelle Lamont - Sunday, 19 March 2017, 3:59 PM

Hi,

Is it normal behaviour that a Site Manager can attempt a quiz and achieve a passing grade, but completion of the quiz activity is not tracked?  This is the current behaviour in a few of our courses that contain a quiz, but we really need our Site Managers to be able to complete some courses as normal Learners and I can't seem to make this happen.  Am I missing a setting?  We're on V 2.9.9.

The Site Manager role, under Users > Permissions > Define Roles, has:

• View courses without participation (moodle/course:view) - Allow
  • Attempt quizzes  (mod/quiz:attempt) - Allow
  • Site Manager role context is - System, Category, Program, Course

At the course level, under Users > Permissions:

• View courses without participation - I removed Site Manager
  • Attempt quizzes - I added Site Manager

At the Quiz activity level, under Quiz Administration > Permissions:

• Attempt quizzes - added Site Manager

Other Settings include:

• Site Managers have been enrolled as Learners in the course
  • The first activity in the course is a SCORM and this must be completed before the Quiz becomes available:
    • Completion of the SCORM for Site Managers is tracking correctly on both the course page and Reports > Activity Completion.
    • However, although the SCORM marks as complete for Site Managers, the message "Not available unless: The activity SCORM: XYZ is marked complete" remains under the Quiz.
    • Site Managers can still open the Quiz with the restriction message and complete the quiz, but completion of the quiz won't track.

Thanks,

Michelle

Craig Eves
Re: Site Manager - Attempt Quiz
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Sunday, 19 March 2017, 5:53 PM
Group Totara

Hi Michelle

I think you are previewing the quiz so this permission mod/quiz:preview needs to be disallowed  in the Site manager role.

I tried this and this worked - this does mean that the site manager can edit their own quiz grade - so having a separate account for Site manager and learner is probably a good idea.

regards

Michelle Lamont
Re: Site Manager - Attempt Quiz
by Michelle Lamont - Sunday, 19 March 2017, 9:58 PM

Ah-ha !  Thank you so much Craig, that fixed it AND it makes sense.

I'll also have a think about your recommendation to have separate accounts for Site Manager and Learners. 

Thanks again, Michelle