Best practice forum (Archived)

enrolment report

John Roughley
enrolment report
by John Roughley - Friday, 27 May 2011, 3:23 AM

Is it possible to have a report on the learners enrolled on a course?
Craig Eves
Re: enrolment report
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Sunday, 29 May 2011, 2:19 PM
Group Totara

Hi John

Yes it is possible to create a report using the report builder - if you login to demo.totaralms.com as demoadmin and go to My reports there is a report called Course completions and grades that provides a sample of what can be done.

This report can be customised by selecting Edit this report - for example the Content tab allows you to select records based on the logged in users position - (show all people in who directly report to the user).

You can experiment with this to format as required , if you need to do any grouping or calculations the data can be exported into a spreadsheet format.

There is also some functionality in the Grader report to show the course particpant records. The Grader report is available in each course to every learner and also for the trainer for all learners.

regards

Craig

Simon Coggins
by Simon Coggins - Wednesday, 8 June 2011, 3:36 PM
Group Totara

Be aware that the course completions report will only show enrolments if the course has course completion enabled (see my other post for details on how to do that).

Simon

John Roughley
by John Roughley - Thursday, 9 June 2011, 1:57 AM

Thanks Simon, that's a bit clearer now.

So, if I have a course that contains resources, activities, scorm and course completion is turned on, it is possible to have a report that will show enrolment, sco status and completion?

John Roughley
by John Roughley - Thursday, 9 June 2011, 2:20 AM

And is the same for self completion?
John Roughley
by John Roughley - Thursday, 9 June 2011, 3:22 AM

Hi Craig

The course completions and grades isnt there any more, could you add it again please?

John

Craig Eves
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Thursday, 9 June 2011, 1:38 PM
Group Totara

Hi John

I have recreated the Course completions and grades report - the data on the demo is reset periodically so currently there isn't a lot of completion data to display.

The data source for the report is Course Completion - currently the grade that is shown is the course grade - course activity grades are going to be available later.

Craig

Nurhaisyam Satar
by Nurhaisyam Satar - Friday, 10 June 2011, 2:34 AM

Hi Craig,

Meaning to say that if i wanted to calculate or group the data, i have to do it manually by downloading the excel sheet and do the calculation in MS Excel?

Is there any chance that a chart can be embedded in the reports as well? Or is there any plugins?

Thanks!

Craig Eves
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Sunday, 12 June 2011, 1:48 PM
Group Totara

Hi Hazmy

That is correct - the report builder does not have grouping or calculations as part of the interface.

Excel or other spreadsheet do grouping and graphing very well using pivot tables. In my opinion this is a lot better that the web based plugins I have seen. I would recommend using the export into Excel if grouping and calculations are required for analysing  data.

If you require a web based tool then google spreadsheets do have pivot tables also.

There are some plugins that could be used with Totara such as Geogebra that could be developed in Totara to further enhance the reports but I am not sure what tools would be the best.

Craig

Simon Coggins
by Simon Coggins - Sunday, 12 June 2011, 4:41 PM
Group Totara

Another option available to you is the 'Google Fusion Tables' option in report builder. It takes a bit of setting up (by a developer) but once enabled it allows you to use Open Authentication to seamlessly export report builder reports into Google Fusion tables:

http://www.google.com/fusiontables/public/tour/index.html

Fusion tables is an online tool that lets you group, aggregate and graph your data (in a similar way to excel).

Simon

Nurhaisyam Satar
by Nurhaisyam Satar - Sunday, 12 June 2011, 8:04 PM

Hi Simon & Craig,

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try check it out. Thanks again.