Best practice forum (Archived)

Restricting access to activity based on location

? ?
Restricting access to activity based on location
by ? ? - Sunday, 9 November 2014, 3:10 PM

Hi all,

I'm developing a portal in Totara (version 2.6.10) and was trying to have different welcome messages on the course page based on a user's location.

It looks like I can do this if I create a label activity on the page for each location, as this then hides the other activities. But at the moment we only have three different messages - one for Location A, one for Location B, and one for everyone else.

I've tried restricting access to the third message using the Restrict Access setting but this doesn't let me exclude the first two locations - I can only do one or the other (so I'm not able to have "City does not contain Location A, or Location B").

Does anyone know a way I could achieve this?

Thanks

Alistar

Craig Eves
Re: Restricting access to activity based on location
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Sunday, 9 November 2014, 6:31 PM
Group Totara

You are right the user profile restriction doesn't support the OR condition even though you can use more than one user profile field in the Restrict Access box.

A way around this is 

Assign users to Groups and then choose separate groups for the activity. The Label activity isn't one of the supported activities but you could use a forum activity and autosubscribe users to the forum for group announcements/welcome.

To do this select Course Admin > Users > Groups > Auto-create groups and use to  Select members from audience (after defining audience based on value in user profile field).

Once the group has been setup then create the activity and choose under Common module settings > Group mode > Separate groups 

Craig

? ?
Re: Restricting access to activity based on location
by ? ? - Monday, 10 November 2014, 11:49 AM

Thanks Craig.  The automated groupings worked perfectly, and did work with individual label activities within a single topic.  Cheers for the quick help.

Alistar