Best practice forum (Archived)

Course dependency/prerequisite

? ?
Course dependency/prerequisite
by ? ? - Thursday, 14 July 2011, 11:02 PM

I've created a series of 4 courses: 1 Introduction course and then 3 speciality courses which follow on.

I want to restrict access (and completion) to the 3 speciality courses until users have first completed the Introduction course.

How can I achieve this?

Is there a course prerequisite option built into Totara? I had a look through the course dependency option under course completion, but it wouldn't let me set any dependant courses - every time I clicked on a courses name it opened that courses completion settings in the dialog window...

Thanks

? ?
Re: Course dependency/prerequisite
by ? ? - Thursday, 14 July 2011, 11:11 PM

image of course dependency allocation issue:

Click here to view full size
This forum post has been removed
Sunday, 17 July 2011, 1:56 PM
The content of this forum post has been removed and can no longer be accessed.
? ?
by ? ? - Wednesday, 20 July 2011, 4:52 PM

hi,

We are running the latest versions of Totara 1.0.18.

What would be the most efficient method then in Totara to restrict access - on a prerequiste type basis?

cheers,

-Ira

Simon Coggins
by Simon Coggins - Friday, 22 July 2011, 4:25 AM
Group Totara

Hi Ira,

We are working on a new feature, Program Management, which will be released as part of Totara 1.1, which will allow you restrict course access based on the completion of other courses.

Simon

? ?
by ? ? - Tuesday, 26 July 2011, 5:03 PM

when is Totara version 1.1 expected to be released?
Simon Coggins
by Simon Coggins - Tuesday, 26 July 2011, 6:59 PM
Group Totara

We are preparing the release at the moment, it should be out in September.

Simon

Craig Eves
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Sunday, 17 July 2011, 2:10 PM
Group Totara

Hi Ira

Can you use the alternate course selector link to see if there are any courses appearing in the list.

The problem may be that the courses that you are choosing may not have correctly set up course completion criteria set so they are not able to be completed.

The course needs to have

• Completion tracking enabled under Course Administration > Settings
  • have activity completion  aggregation set under Course Administration > Completion
  • an activity completion criteria for each activity - select the activity > Settings and Activity completion 

I think the alternate course selector only shows the courses that have completion criteria so is the better one to use but not sure if this is the only difference.

If this doesn't work I may need to login to your system to see if there is some other problem.

Craig

? ?
by ? ? - Wednesday, 20 July 2011, 7:05 PM

Hi,

If I use the Alternate Course Selector it works fine when choosing a course dependency.

The Add course dependency button doesn't seem to work on any of the browsers (IE6, Firefox, Safari), as soon as you select a category or a course from the list it loads that course settings page (as in the image i posted above). In IE6 it just takes you to a blank screen - which is worrying as IE6 is our current browser throughout the organisation...

is there a way of disabling or hiding the Add course dependency button if it is not owrking on our install?

Our Totara install is internally hosted behind our firewall, so you won't be able to login into it.

- Ira

Simon Coggins
by Simon Coggins - Friday, 22 July 2011, 4:33 AM
Group Totara

The alternative course selector comes up when the page has &js=0 appended to the end of the URL, so if you modified any links to the /course/completion.php file to include &js=0 you should always see the alternative selector. 

Clearly something is very wrong here - we'll try and reproduce the issue and come up with a fix.

Simon 

Monday, 25 July 2011, 2:20 AM
? ?
by ? ? - Monday, 1 August 2011, 10:37 PM

hi,

Adding a course dependency seems to work fine when using the demo site and our internal sit set to the Standard Totara theme.

The theme that I customised used the totara theme as a starting template. I noticed in other themes that when choosing a course as a dependant the tree view of courses looks/works fine, but in our custom theme there is no tree view of courses. Does the tree view of courses rely on jquery or similar code library to function properly?

thanks,

-Ira

? ?
by ? ? - Monday, 1 August 2011, 11:22 PM

I'm getting this script error after clicking the add dependency button and the course list window opens using our custom theme:

Error: $(".treeview", this._container).treeview is not a function
Source File: http://10.0.0.240/totara/local/js/lib/dialog.js.php
Line: 625

I haven't modified the local/js files

Tuesday, 2 August 2011, 3:50 PM
? ?
by ? ? - Thursday, 4 August 2011, 9:45 PM

what changes would stop that file form being included? I haven't changed the course completion pages where I'm getting this error.
Sunday, 7 August 2011, 4:33 AM