Best practice forum (Archived)

Need Access to Course Materials after Completion

Kathy Dick
Need Access to Course Materials after Completion
by Kathy Dick - Thursday, 28 July 2011, 10:45 AM

We have a client who has a requirement that learners complete their course within 6o days. They also need the course materials to be available indefinitely after course completion. This course is continuous enrollment, so each learner's 60 day limit begins on their specific enrollment date.

They also want conditional activities - one must complete module 1 before starting module 2, etc.

The only way I can think of to do this is to put the course resources in a block or a series of blocks on the user dashboard page, outside of the course itself. Is there an easier way? Their course administrator doesn't want to manage 2 versions of the documents - there are many. Besides that problem, some of the resources are SCORM packages and I'm not sure how they would add those to a block.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or solutions.

Kathy

Craig Eves
Re: Need Access to Course Materials after Completion
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Thursday, 28 July 2011, 2:23 PM
Group Totara

Hi Cathy

This might be able to achieved through the creation of groups and then assigning users to the groups.

You can restrict enrolment time when you enrol learners using the Assign role function and selecting the enrolment duration option.

Under course settings and groups there is the separate groups and Force option which would keep the groups separate in the same course.

For this to work it would need enrolments to be processed as a group. There is also the  possibility of having no groups for some activities such as forums so discussions with people who enrolled at another time can be made.

I also thought the groupings option where you can add several groups to grouping and apply settings at an activity level to the grouping might be useful but I can't find this option in Totara under the Group settings.

Craig

Kathy Dick
by Kathy Dick - Thursday, 28 July 2011, 3:35 PM

Thanks for the ideas, Craig. I did try to propose the group enrollment but they didn't like that.

And I think Groupings is in Moodle 2+, not 1.9.

I'm wondering if I can basically back up the entire course and import it as a new course where I remove all of the completion tracking and conditional activities and allow an unlimited enrollment duration. Ideally, users would be automatically enrolled in that course by completing the initial one, but I realize that's not possible without customization.

If they'll go for users self-enrolling, it could work, I think.

I remember recently someone else asked if a course could only be made available when another course had been completed. Do I remember correctly that the answer was that that was coming this fall?

Thanks again for your help.

Kathy

Craig Eves
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Thursday, 28 July 2011, 4:10 PM
Group Totara

Ok if they don't like the group option then groupings won't apply - groupings are in 1.9 which is why I thought this should be visible.

There is some development being worked on with a program management feature that will include automatic enrolments - this is expected in a few months in the menatime you could use self enrolment or an import by CSV option.

There is currently a course dependency option that can make a course available on completion of the dependent course. This is under Course Administration > Completion > Add course dependency.

The backed up open course would probably work , there is probably another option that could be easier but if this one works then why not. I was thinking maybe adding completed students to a role with limited access to assessments, forums or whatever you don't want them to access.

Good luck with the implementation.

Craig

This forum post has been removed
Thursday, 28 July 2011, 11:34 PM
The content of this forum post has been removed and can no longer be accessed.