Best practice forum (Archived)

This forum discussion has been removed

This forum post has been removed
Thursday, 26 April 2012, 7:06 AM
The content of this forum post has been removed and can no longer be accessed.
? ?
Re: Adding a competency to more than 1 position
by ? ? - Thursday, 26 April 2012, 7:24 AM

Hi Jo,

Welcome to Totara! Make as much use as you can from these forums and the help site smile http://help.totaralms.com/Totara_help_v1.1.htm There's a lot in there.

You can add a compentency to a position, and consequently everyone in the system assigned that position by finding the position in question, click Assign Competencies (blue button at bottom), then click to add one or more competencies.

This link describes it better http://help.totaralms.com/Manage_Positions.htm#Assigning_Competencies_to_Position_Items

Note also that courses can be linked to competencies as evidence Items, so a means of measuring a competency could be to take a related course.

Then they can be tied up into Learning Plans, when a user in a particular position starts a learning plan it can be pre-populated with some competencies and courses relevant to that position.

Hope that helps,

Andy

Thursday, 26 April 2012, 7:44 AM
Thursday, 26 April 2012, 8:58 AM
Thursday, 26 April 2012, 9:19 AM
Simon Coggins
by Simon Coggins - Sunday, 29 April 2012, 4:43 PM
Group Totara

Hi Jo,

I'm afraid there's no way to do that at the moment, but it's definitely a good idea, we'll add it to the roadmap.

In the mean time the program workaround Amir suggested might be suitable.

Simon

Giovanni  Ramos
by Giovanni Ramos - Tuesday, 22 May 2012, 9:59 AM

HELP!!

I cant assign a competency to a position (I do it in the system) but when the assigned user with that possition log in, it isnt suscribed to that competency. I try with multiple users and in organization but with no success so far. I can only assign "programs" and enroll them in courses but no in competencies.

I overread and over watched the tutorials, any suggestiones or help?

Simon Coggins
by Simon Coggins - Tuesday, 22 May 2012, 3:47 PM
Group Totara

Hi Giovanni,

At the moment the competency is only added to new learning plans (created after the competency has been added), and only if the "Automatically assign by position" checkbox is checked in plan templates > workflow > Advanced workflow > Competencies.

There is some work going on that will allow competencies to be added to existing plans, as well as to automatically create plans, but they have not been implemented yet.

Simon

Craig Eves
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Tuesday, 22 May 2012, 3:48 PM
Group Totara

Hi Gionvanni

It sounds like they may be using the wrong learning plan template.

Can you check that the learning plan template that you are is the default learning plan so users are creating the learning plan with this one.

Site admin > Learning plans > Manage templates

Also check the default learning plan template has the workflow settings Automatically assign by position.

Craig

Giovanni  Ramos
by Giovanni Ramos - Wednesday, 23 May 2012, 3:08 PM

I think, I didnt make myself clear. 

1) I am with the role of admin and I created some competencies

2) I created some users and I give them a positition

3) When I go to the position a assigned to some positions some competencies

wait what does mean to assign a competency to a position?

a) that this position and the people with this position have developed this competency already?

b) that this position and the people with this position will have to take the courses or evidences in order to gain these competencies?

Craig Eves
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Thursday, 24 May 2012, 5:09 PM
Group Totara

Hi Giovanni

Are you assigning the positions to competencies in the learning plan ? If you are then this means that anyone with this position who creates a learning plan will have the competency automatically assigned to their learning plan (if this is setup in their workflow settings)

I don't think there are other areas that make use of assigning competencies to positions unless I am misunderstanding what you mean by positions.

Craig

Thursday, 24 May 2012, 8:31 PM
Giovanni  Ramos
by Giovanni Ramos - Friday, 25 May 2012, 10:40 AM

thank you, for your concern and answers

I am getting furstrared with this whole thing, I think I am getting nowhere, I dont know how to express myselft in order to make myself clear.

is there a live help chat?

PS: I had read the manuals and watched the tutorials, BUT there are so many doubts and questions

PS2: webinar doesnt help becauses its recorded 

PS3: I think I will send you a 3 minutes video of my totara

Craig Eves
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Sunday, 27 May 2012, 3:07 PM
Group Totara

Hi Giovanni

A video would be good or some screenshots and a decsription of the action taken.

You can send this directly to me craig.eves@totaralms.com and hopefully this will help me to see what you are wanting to do and how you are doing this.

If this doesn't help we can arrange a live chat - probably with someone in your timezone though.

regards

Craig

Craig Eves
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Sunday, 27 May 2012, 4:21 PM
Group Totara

Hi Giovanni

One more try at explaining what assigning a competency to a position does.

The competency is added to learning plan of anyone who has this position - if the workflow settings of the learning plan are set to allow this (see diagram below)

If the competency is linked to a course then the course will be added to the learning plan (provided the workflow settings include linked courses are enabled).

Competencies can be made mandatory or optional when linking to a position.

workflow settings

Giovanni  Ramos
by Giovanni Ramos - Monday, 28 May 2012, 2:40 PM

This helped!!

I sent you the video to your e-mail account

thanks a lot