Best practice forum (Archived)

face to face completion settings

Wouter Maenhout
face to face completion settings
by Wouter Maenhout - Monday, 18 June 2012, 8:28 AM
Group Partners

Hi,

Currently, the only setting that is possible indicating a completion for a face to face session, is "when user receives a grade".

I was wondering if this could be changed to the status of this user for this face to face session (fully attended, partially attended, no show).

Now when a user has the status "no show", he receives a grade = 0, which causes a completion for this face to face session by the user. this is not logical in the flow.

For a specific course we have indicated that a reminder for a feedback needs to be sent to all users who have the status completed for a face to face. Now, the no shows also received the request to give feedback and the also have status completed.

How can this be changed?

Thank you for your input.

Kind regards,

Wouter

Austen Sinclair
Re: face to face completion settings
by Austen Sinclair - Monday, 18 June 2012, 3:02 PM
Group PartnersGroup TXP Site Administrator

Hi Wouter

That's a really interesting point!  We've struggled with F2F triggering completion for a while and the approach we use when attendance at the F2F is the sole criteria for a course is:

1. Course Completeion based on grade >= 80%

2. F2F Activity completion 'User must receive a grade'

3. Marking attendance generates a grade value of;

• No show = 0%
    • Partial = 50%
    • Fully attended = 100%

4. This then becomes the course grade.

The weakness in this, is that its not obvious in the F2F module that when setting 'user must receive a grade' that it passes the above values to the grade-book and that a course grade has to be set in order to correctly trigger Course Completion.

Cheers

Austen

Austen Sinclair
by Austen Sinclair - Monday, 18 June 2012, 4:04 PM
Group PartnersGroup TXP Site Administrator

Doh,  my colleagues advise that we don't use Activity completion for F2F to trigger Course Completion. My apologies for adding any confusion here.

Notes:

The F2F module already displays the learners status on the course page "you are booked on..." and also in their My Bookings report. Activity completion would only complete with this information and be less detailed (including displaying a tick for a 'no show')

The F2F module already passes a grade to the gradebook - independently of the Activity Completing settings - which we then use to trigger Course Completion.

We occasionally use Activity Completion to trigger our compulsory Level 1 evaluation process in courses where there is long time gap between attending the training session and completing the assessment requirement to be 'Complete' in the course.

Again, my apologies for adding any confusion.

Cheers
Austen

Craig Eves
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Monday, 18 June 2012, 4:30 PM
Group Totara

Hi Walter

I think you can change the passing grade for the face to face activity as below so the activity is not marked as completed unless they receive a passing grade that you have defined.

Austen may also add to this as I think they have extended this.

Require Grade

When Require grade is enabled the learner must receive a grade for the activity to be marked complete.

You can use the course gradebook to set the passing grade for the activity. When no passing grade has been set up the activity will be marked as complete when the learner receives any grade.

Distinguishing between passing and failing grades

It is possible to set up an activity to allow the learner to see 'completed, passed' or 'completed, fail' instead of the standard 'completed'. These results show a different icon and alternative text.

Setting a passing grade on an activity:

1. Click Grades on the 'Course Admin' block to open the course gradebook
  2. Select Simple view under 'Categories and Items' from the 'Choose an action...' dropdown menu.
  3. Click the Edit button next to the grade item for the activity you wish to set the passing grade for
  4. Click Show advanced
  5. Set the passing grade value in the 'Grade to pass' field.
  6. Click Save changes.

Once the 'grade to pass' is set the learner will achieve either a 'complete, pass' or a 'complete, fail' when they complete the activity.

Note: to enable the learner to see 'complete, pass' or 'complete fail' the grades for the activity need to be set to 'immediately visible'. The learner will only see 'completed' otherwise.