Best practice forum (Archived)

Face to face ical event

Wouter Maenhout
Face to face ical event
by Wouter Maenhout - Monday, 18 June 2012, 7:49 AM
Group Partners

Hi,

When a session consists of 2 or more dates and the attendee wants to receive an ical event via email, then this ical event only contains the first date of the session, but not the later dates. Is this a bug?

The current totara version we are using, is 1.1.16.1

Thanks for the help!

Kind regards,

Wouter

Craig Eves
Re: Face to face ical event
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Monday, 18 June 2012, 4:17 PM
Group Totara

Hi Wouter

I tried this on 1.1.16.1 and the ical attachment did only seem to include one date on it - in my case it was the last date of the session. The ical attachment for face to face was fixed  but don't think the two days sessions were included.

I'll report this as a bug.

The Outlook appointment did include the two dates.

regards

Craig

Wouter Maenhout
by Wouter Maenhout - Tuesday, 19 June 2012, 1:56 AM
Group Partners

Hi Craig,

Thank you for your feedback. What do you mean with Outlook Appointment? I only see 3 options when i sign up for a session :

• Email notification and icalendar appointment
  • Email notification only
  • icalendar appointment only

Should there be a fourth (outlook appointment)? Or are you referring to the text description you receive in the email appointment.

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

Wouter

Craig Eves
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Tuesday, 19 June 2012, 3:20 PM
Group Totara

Hi

The Outlook appointment was generated in my calendar for the two days using the email notification and icalendar appointment option.

Looking at the ics file I attached I could only see one day contained in it so not sure how the appointment was generated. I will use the email notification only option to see if this generates the appointments correctly.

Craig

? ?
by ? ? - Sunday, 24 June 2012, 4:07 PM

Hi Wouter,

ical support for events with multiple days is patchy at best across the range of email clients and many versions of Outlook don't support it at all. If you look at the actual contents of the ical file you should see the BEGIN:VEVENT...END:VEVENT blocks in there defining the multiple dates, unfortunately they are rarely read properly by the email/calendar clients.

For this reason there is a little-known Face To Face configuration setting

Site Administration -> Plugins -> Activities -> Face-to-face -> One message per day

This gets around the problems with most email clients by sending an emails with a single-day ical attachment for each day of the event so for example when this setting is turned on:

A facetoface session with two dates on the 4th July and 9th July, when booked the user will receive two emails, each containing one ical attachment, one for the 4th and one for the 9th.

So if you are doing a lot of multi-day face-to-face sessions, it may be best to turn this setting on. This is a bit clunky but there is little we can do about the poor support for multi-day events in most email clients, even though it is part of the ical standard definition.