Best practice forum (Archived)

This forum discussion has been removed

This forum post has been removed
Thursday, 12 July 2012, 6:48 PM
The content of this forum post has been removed and can no longer be accessed.
Dan Marsden
Re: Articulate SCORM courses 'hanging'
by Dan Marsden - Thursday, 12 July 2012, 7:30 PM

Hi Jo, 

My guess is that this is your issue:http://danmarsden.com/blog/2011/07/13/ie7-and-xmlhttprequest/ 

that issue is fixed in Moodle 2 and the setting "directview" in Totara LMS should help get around it - try using the directview setting to see if it makes any difference. - try experimenting with the new window/current window options as well. the issue you explain sounds very similar to this particular issue.

There's also an IE 9 and flash bug issue but this definately only affects IE9 afaik so unless you've got the IE version wrong it's probably not your problem.

https://bugbase.adobe.com/index.cfm?event=bug&id=2928139

Also - when the Moodle 2 version of Totara is released you should upgrade asap - the SCORM player in Moodle 2 is a lot more reliable/stable than the version in 1.9

Sunday, 15 July 2012, 9:05 PM
Dan Marsden
by Dan Marsden - Sunday, 15 July 2012, 9:34 PM

hehe - I'm the wrong person to ask as I don't work for Totara. Whoever looks after your Totara subscription should hopefully be able to help with that.

I'm the core maintainer for SCORM in Moodle but have a pretty good understanding of the extra patches that have been ported to Totara - some have been written by me and are already part of Moodle 2.

Simon Coggins
by Simon Coggins - Tuesday, 17 July 2012, 4:17 PM
Group Totara

We are aiming for 15th August to release Totara 2.2.

Simon

Dan Marsden
by Dan Marsden - Thursday, 12 July 2012, 9:19 PM

just to clarify - the "directview" setting I mention above is the option "Launch direct from course" in the "display package" option.
Sunday, 15 July 2012, 9:21 PM
Sunday, 15 July 2012, 9:34 PM
Dan Marsden
by Dan Marsden - Sunday, 15 July 2012, 9:43 PM

Good to hear that solved the hanging issue - that confirms it as the bug I mention  in my blog post.. I spent a massive amount of time trying to reproduce and track that bug down!

yeah - the way stage size is handled in the Moodle 1.9 player is really bad - we rewrote the player quite significantly in Moodle 2 to make it behave a lot more consistently.

It's been a while since I've had to deal with stage size issues in Moodle 1.9 but from memory the best options were to use either 100 which is interpreted as 100% or a high pixel value like 500

when using 100x100 does it use full screen with scroll bars?

Sunday, 15 July 2012, 9:57 PM
Sunday, 15 July 2012, 10:11 PM
Dan Marsden
by Dan Marsden - Monday, 16 July 2012, 1:09 AM

that looks like it might be a bug with the display when using the direct from course option - are you using a standard Totara Theme?  - if you're using a standard Totara theme you might be able to report this as a bug to Totara - you may need to supply them with a copy of one of your SCORM package so they can reproduce/test it.

The other option would be to contact your Totara Partner for further help.

Monday, 16 July 2012, 2:04 AM
Simon Coggins
by Simon Coggins - Tuesday, 17 July 2012, 4:20 PM
Group Totara

Hi Jo,

Are you able to send me a copy of the SCORM package, and a screenshot of the scorm settings page (with advanced options shown)? I'll see if I can reproduce the layout problem you are having.

Simon

Simon Coggins
by Simon Coggins - Tuesday, 24 July 2012, 2:34 PM
Group Totara

Hi Jo,

I've managed to reproduce the issue you're having with the grey on either side of the window.

My understanding of how directview works (and Dan might correct me here), is that instead of opening the SCORM package in a new window, it opens in the existing browser window. Therefore the stage size settings will be ignored as the window will be whatever size your current browser window is.

The normal fix would be to get it to appear in a popup, but since that's causing the crashing issue I'm not sure that there is another solution, other than to resize your browser to fit, or resize the SCORM contents to better match a standard browser size (not easy since everyone will have different sized windows).

Simon

Dan Marsden
by Dan Marsden - Tuesday, 24 July 2012, 3:16 PM

The SCORM player in Moodle 2 is a lot better - Simon posted above that the planned release for Totara 2.2 is Aug 15 - I'd suggest you don't spend anymore time looking into it and just upgrade to 2.2 - then you'll be able to use the new window options in SCORM as the freezing bug has been fixed.

Then - if you have any other SCORM issues they are probably directly related to Moodle and you can log a bug in the Moodle Tracker for me to take a look.

Sunday, 29 July 2012, 9:08 PM
Simon Coggins
by Simon Coggins - Sunday, 29 July 2012, 9:35 PM
Group Totara

The options checkboxes are only used when you use the "new window" option - they should be disabled for directview as they don't do anything (I'll fix that for the next release).

I think the only way to get back is to hit the back button in your browser, since direct view is displaying in the same window. If you use the "Current window" option you get an "Exit Activity" link but not via direct view.

Simon

Monday, 30 July 2012, 12:23 AM
Simon Coggins
by Simon Coggins - Monday, 30 July 2012, 8:19 PM
Group Totara

Hi Jo,

I'm running out of ideas I'm afraid. The only thing I can think of is adding a code customisation that inserted a "Back" link into the directview page.

Simon

Thursday, 2 August 2012, 11:04 PM