Best practice forum (Archived)

What is the specific permission to allow a manager to add or delete members from their team?

Mike Martin
What is the specific permission to allow a manager to add or delete members from their team?
by Mike Martin - Monday, 6 August 2012, 2:00 PM

Hi Totara community! I'm looking for the specific permission I would need to enable to allow managers to switch teammates from manager to manager.

Basically, I work in a business with quite a bit of internal department transferring, and with 360 employees, I can't keep up on my own. I would like to give each manager permission to go in and change the position, organization and manager on their own. So, as one sales person switches from sale to say, brand management, his/her manager could switch them to the new position, organization and manager in Totara. Any help? Thanks!

Simon Coggins
Re: What is the specific permission to allow a manager to add or delete members from their team?
by Simon Coggins - Monday, 6 August 2012, 2:33 PM
Group Totara

You should be able do that by adding the 'moodle/local:assignuserposition' capability to the 'manager' role.

Each manager is given the manager role in their staff's user context, so that should only give them permission to modify their staff's details (unless you've assigned the manager role to someone in the system or other higher context).

One small issue - if a manager changes one of their staff's manager to someone else, they will lose the ability to edit so they won't be able to switch it back themselves.

Simon