Best practice forum (Archived)

Totara 2.2 Upgrade

Jo Lowe
Totara 2.2 Upgrade
by Jo Lowe - Sunday, 19 August 2012, 11:43 PM

Hello,

I am having issues upgrading my Totara to the latest 2.2 version.

After putting my site in maintenance mode, backing up my existing files and copying the new content to my www folder, I log back on to the web page and follow the onscreen upgrade instructions. After going through a list of things that it is upgrading I get hit with several errors such as;

"Plugin "mod_excerise" is defective or outdate, can not continue, sorry."

If I continue after this point I get all sorts of PHP errors and my database is useless so I have to perform a restore! Luckily it is a Virtual Environment and several snapshots have been taken!

After reading the release notes again, it states that there are several plugins that are removed in this version. So I manually removed the folders prior to another upgrade but then I get stuck on others such as;

"Plugin "enrol_devplan" is defective or outdate, can not continue, sorry."

Again if I do a recovery, manually delete the folders, it continues and then comes up with a different plugin error. At this point I am thinking that there are too many errors for me to continue and thought it best to seek help.. Help!

Has anyone out there been able to update successfully to the new version yet? Is anyone else having similar issues?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Jo Lowe

Simon Coggins
Re: Totara 2.2 Upgrade
by Simon Coggins - Monday, 20 August 2012, 2:07 PM
Group Totara

Hi Jo,

It sounds like maybe you copied the new code over the top of the old 1.1 code, rather than removing the old code completely. The enrol_devplan it mentions was renamed to totara_learningplan so doesn't exist in the 2.2 codebase.

Typically when upgrading I would create a new folder alongside the existing wwwroot:

wwwroot/[contains code]

newwwwroot/[new code]

Then copy the config.php from the old to the new directory then do:

move wwwroot -> oldwwwroot

move newwwroot -> wwwroot

That way you have still got a copy of the old code that you can switch back to if necessary.

Simon

Jo Lowe
by Jo Lowe - Monday, 20 August 2012, 8:27 PM

Thanks Simon.

I did see that in some Moodle documentation but the Totara docs looked like it was telling me to just put things over the top of it. I am probably miss-reading / interpreting it! I will have to go back and re-read.. Again.

Thanks for the info, I'll give it a shot and let you know how I get on with it.

Regards,
Jo

Simon Coggins
by Simon Coggins - Monday, 20 August 2012, 8:56 PM
Group Totara

No you're right the documentation in UPGRADE.txt isn't very clear. We'll update it in the next release.

Thanks,

Simon

Jo Lowe
by Jo Lowe - Monday, 20 August 2012, 9:23 PM

That did the trick!

Move the folder somewhere else, create a new folder - extract to new folder then copy config.php to new folder.. upgrade worked like a charm!

I'm glad it was not just me miss-reading it :)

Thanks again!

Jo

Martinique Johns
by Martinique Johns - Tuesday, 21 August 2012, 11:57 AM

I just tried the install, however, for some reason, the upgrade hangs on the totara_cohorts area.  I get a title for totara_cohorts and the rest is a blank page.

Any ideas? 

Simon Coggins
by Simon Coggins - Tuesday, 21 August 2012, 4:07 PM
Group Totara

Hi,

Was that a fresh install, or an upgrade from Totara 1.1?

If it was an upgrade, can you turn on developer debugging and try again - you should get some more messages.

If it was a fresh install, try adding this line to your config.php file:

$CFG->debug = 38911;

and try again and post any additional messages you get.

Finally can you let me know what operating system and database you are using?

Simon

Danielle Hamilton
by Danielle Hamilton - Tuesday, 28 August 2012, 3:01 AM

Hi Simon,

We have the same issue. Our developer has provided a screen shot (attached). Version is Version 2.2.0b4 (Build: 20120727.00), OS is Linux and the DB is PostGres.

Hope that gives you enough information.

Thanks

Dani

Hamid Haghayegh
by Hamid Haghayegh - Tuesday, 28 August 2012, 7:59 AM

Hi Simon,

Can we upgrade any version of toatra 1.1 to 2.2 ? If not do we need upgrade to the certain version of totara 1.1 ?

Regards,

Hamid

Simon Coggins
by Simon Coggins - Tuesday, 28 August 2012, 1:28 PM
Group Totara

No you have to upgrade to at least 1.1.17 or higher before you can move to 2.2.

Simon

Simon Coggins
by Simon Coggins - Tuesday, 28 August 2012, 1:27 PM
Group Totara

Hi Dani,

Thanks the error message helped - I think I know what's causing that - we'll get it fixed in today's release (2.2.2).

Simon