Best practice forum (Archived)

Report on new registrations

Linda Wray
Report on new registrations
by Linda Wray - Wednesday, 22 August 2012, 8:43 PM

Hi there,

Does anyone know a way to run off a monthly report for all new registrations on to the LMS in the past month?

Linda

Austen Sinclair
Re: Report on new registrations
by Austen Sinclair - Wednesday, 22 August 2012, 9:08 PM
Group PartnersGroup TXP Site Administrator

Hi Linda

We do this the following way (although, no doubt there's probably a better way in Report builder).

1. Navigate to: Site Administration > Accounts > Browse list of users
  2. then click on 'Show Advanced'
  3. and set the First access value to be the 1st of the month you're interested in.

Cheers
Austen

Linda Wray
by Linda Wray - Wednesday, 22 August 2012, 9:19 PM

Hi Austin,

Thank you for your response. When we do that it only gives us a list of users that have logged into courses in that month not actual new registrations on the system.

Any other suggestions?

Austen Sinclair
by Austen Sinclair - Thursday, 23 August 2012, 6:33 PM
Group PartnersGroup TXP Site Administrator

Hi Linda

I was under the imporession the LMS home page is Course id=1 which should caputure new sign ups - sorry if that's not the case.

Cheers
Austen

Linda Wray
by Linda Wray - Thursday, 23 August 2012, 7:09 PM

Hi Austen,

Could you please explain in more detail what you mean?

Linda

Simon Coggins
by Simon Coggins - Thursday, 23 August 2012, 7:44 PM
Group Totara

There are quite a few dates associated with a user account:

• timecreated - this is the one you want - the date the account was created
  • timemodified - last time the account details were changed
  • currentlogin - this is actually the time they last logged in
  • lastlogin - confusingly, this is actually the second to last time they logged in - the last one is stored in currentlogin
  • firstaccess - the first time the user ever logged into the system. This can be different from timecreated if you are using self-registration
  • lastaccess - the most recent time they accessed the system
It doesn't appear that the timecreated one that you are interested in appears in either Totara's report builder or the standard user report.
We could add it to report builder, but you would still need to manually create a report each month - the ideal fix would be to add a content restriction which let you specify a period of time rather than an absolute date - that way you could create the report and schedule it to be emailed every month.
I can take a look at adding that as a feature but I'm afraid it might take a while before we are able to include it in a release.
Simon
Simon Coggins
by Simon Coggins - Sunday, 2 September 2012, 5:01 PM
Group Totara

I've just noticed that timecreated doesn't exist in 1.1 - I'm afraid we'll only be able to provide this feature in 2.2 as the data isn't tracked in 1.1.

Simon

David Curry (Core Developer)
by David Curry (Core Developer) - Wednesday, 5 September 2012, 3:15 PM
Group Totara

Hi,

There was a patch included in the 2.2.3 release yesterday (5th Sept 2012) that added a time created content resitriction to User reports. If you update and look at the edit view of a user report, under the content tab there should now be a section labeled "Show by time created" which should let you do what you want.

Cheers
David

Marcus Boon
by Marcus Boon - Wednesday, 22 August 2012, 9:21 PM
Group Partners

Hi Linda,

I'm not sure if you can do it using the built in reporting capabilities within Totara. The way that we've done it is using a block called configurable reports. You can then make a report to show you all users whose "first access" was 30 days ago etc.

You can get the block from moodle here

It is not automated though, as in I don't think you can make it automatically email you a list every month. You'll have to manually go into the block and check the report though it does give you an option to download it as an excel spreadsheet.

Marcus

Amir Elion
by Amir Elion - Thursday, 23 August 2012, 11:14 PM

Hi Linda,

This might work, assuming that users you want to report on register using emal based self registration.

1. In user > borwse list of users > advanced
  2. Choose first login within last month
  3. Choose authenticartion method email based self registration
I don't see auth field on report builder so you can't seem to make a report like that for now.
Amir