Best practice forum (Archived)

Lesson Scoring

Matt Smith
Lesson Scoring
by Matt Smith - Tuesday, 4 September 2012, 7:10 PM

Hi all, 

When getting all the questions right (but some on the second attempt) it is not showing up that she got 100%?

Lesson example.

Video 

Question about Video

If wrong you jump to the Video again

If right you move on to the next video and question. 

If wrong after you watch the video you jump to a new question with new set of answers. If you get this wrong again the feedback asks you to get your teacher. 

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

What I am wondering, though, is that because there are two versions of each question (i.e. "Question one", and then "Question one Attempt 2"), the student is going to either:

• Skip Attempt 2 if they get the question right the first time, OR
  • Get the question wrong the first time, and so go to Attempt 2 (which they may or may not get right).

In both cases, they miss earning the score (4 or 5) on the version of the question they skip/get wrong the first time. Does this then mean that it would be impossible to get 100%?

If so how can we structure this lesson to acheive the desired effect? 

Cheers, 
Matt 

Amir Elion
Re: Lesson Scoring
by Amir Elion - Tuesday, 4 September 2012, 7:28 PM

Hi Matt,
See here -
http://docs.moodle.org/23/en/Lesson_score

I think you can use Minimum scoring to get what you need.
Another option would be to use custom scoring and give user negative scores on wrong answer attempt 1 which they can only compensate for if they get attempt 2 right:
http://docs.moodle.org/23/en/Adding/editing_a_lesson#Custom_Scoring

Let us know how it worked.
Matt Smith
by Matt Smith - Tuesday, 4 September 2012, 8:01 PM

Hi Amir, 

Thanks for your post!

I had thought about the negitive scoring and have tested it and got the following results. 

Q1.  - Correct worth 5, incorrect worth -5 

Q1 attempt 2. - Correct worth 10, incorrect worth 0 

When the user gets the first wrong and second correct they had a score of 5/15 

It seems that its the maxiumum of all questions is taken divided by your final score. So when the user finished the lesson they still dont achieve 100%. 

I am still racking my brain but cant think of a way around this issue.

Amir Elion
by Amir Elion - Tuesday, 4 September 2012, 8:12 PM

Hi Matt,
If you add to what you did a minimum score setting of 5 that should make them get 100%.
Amir
Matt Smith
by Matt Smith - Tuesday, 4 September 2012, 8:17 PM

Hi Amir, 

Sorry i just cant find where to add the minimum score setting, where abouts is that? Im sure im look straight at it but i have been trying to get this working for a while.

Matt Smith
by Matt Smith - Tuesday, 4 September 2012, 8:19 PM

Found IT!! Thanks i will try it out now, with the negitive numbers you say?
Amir Elion
by Amir Elion - Tuesday, 4 September 2012, 8:24 PM

It's under flow control on lesson settings.
I think you don't need the negative scoring.
Just set the minimum to be the number of question a person who answers all right needs to go through.
Only make sure you keep 0 score for any wrong answer on any attempt.
Amir Elion
by Amir Elion - Tuesday, 4 September 2012, 8:19 PM

Actually that should be a minimum of 1 as it is the number of questions got right and not score. So actually not sure if you need negative scoring at all.
Matt Smith
by Matt Smith - Tuesday, 4 September 2012, 8:23 PM

So i have the following scores. 

q1 a 0 b 0 c 5 d 0

q1 - attempt 2 a 0 b 0 c 5 d 0

q2 a 0 b 0 c 5 d 0

q2 - attempt 2 a 0 b 0 c 5 d 0

q3 a 0 b 0 c 5 d 0

q3 - attempt 2 a 0 b 0 c 5 d 0

q4 a 0 b 0 c 5 d 0

q4 - attempt 2 a 0 b 0 c 5 d 0

I made 2 attempts at q1 and q3 and only one attempt at q2 and q4 and it gave me the following score:

Your score is 20 (out of 30).

Your current grade is 13.3 out of 20

That is with the minimum score set to 4.

Matt Smith
by Matt Smith - Tuesday, 4 September 2012, 8:31 PM

Ok i have tried turning custom scoring off and it looks like its working somewhat, with having to answer at least 4 questions correctly however; 

What is happening now is when the user gets a question wrong, a message is being displayed "You have answered 1 correctly out of 1 attempts."

How can you differentiate a multiple choice question if its right or wrong in the LMS. In the feedback area we have put an image "wrong"and set it too jump back to the video, but its still recording it as "You have answered 1 correctly out of 1 attempts."

Matt Smith
by Matt Smith - Tuesday, 4 September 2012, 8:52 PM

RIGHT.

I have figured out that the wrong jumps of the multi choice questions have to be behind the question on the linar scale, which now You have answered 0 correctly out of 1 attempts. When getting the question wrong.

But still when you get to the end of the lesson, same issue, with minimum questions set to 4. The result was 4 out of 5 correct. Which was a grade of less than 100%.

Please help, i must be doing something wrong.

Matt Smith
by Matt Smith - Tuesday, 4 September 2012, 9:28 PM

I have figured it out! Maybe my rants on here helped. 

I have used the custom scoring and made all of the 1st attempts to each of the questions worth 0 points alround, and the last question in the bank worth 5 points.

If the user gets them all correct they score 5/5 = 100%

If they get the second attempt correct they still score 5/5 = 100% because the 1st attempt was worth 0. 

If they get both wrong, they score 0/5 exactly how we need it :)