Best practice forum (Archived)

Default Completion setting for Label resource

Daniel Bond
Default Completion setting for Label resource
by Daniel Bond - Wednesday, 26 September 2012, 8:51 AM
Group Most helpful contributor 2023

Is there a setting which allows the default Completion Tracking setting for the Label resource to be set to "Do not indicate activity completion"?

In Site Admin > Plugins > Activity Modules there isn't a Label section, and in Manage Activities there isn't a Settings option for Label.

me
Re: Default Completion setting for Label resource
by George Angus - Tuesday, 2 October 2012, 7:36 PM
Group Totara

Hi Dan,

One way to do this would be to create a template course in which Completion Tracking in Course Default Setting has been disabled, and restore this to a new course, this way only the course & activities specified would be affected by the default change.

regards,

G.

Daniel Bond
by Daniel Bond - Thursday, 4 October 2012, 2:26 AM

Thanks for you answer, but I'm not sure I'm entirely following you. If I set up a template course and change Edit settings > Student Progress > Completion Tracking to "Disabled, not shown in activity settings" then there is no longer any tracking option on any item in the course (including items such as quizzes and SCORM modules where tracking is required). If I enable the tracking again for the course (so that I can enable tracking for the required activities) then creating a new label once again has the "Students can manually mark the activity and completed" option set as default.

Have I missed something obvious?

This forum post has been removed
Friday, 5 October 2012, 4:17 AM
The content of this forum post has been removed and can no longer be accessed.
Daniel Bond
by Daniel Bond - Friday, 5 October 2012, 4:31 AM

Not to worry, thanks for looking at least. All I really want is to be able to set the default behaviour for labels to "Do Not Track" because 99.9% of the time that will be the correct setting!

Am I to assume that this is an upstream issue with the Label resource type not pulling default settings from somewhere, or is it simply that a screen was never created to modify those settings?

This forum post has been removed
Friday, 5 October 2012, 5:01 AM
The content of this forum post has been removed and can no longer be accessed.
? ?
by ? ? - Friday, 5 October 2012, 7:26 AM

I can't imagine the circumstances in which a Label might need completion tracking., even for 0.1% of the time! 

But a Label is an Activity/Resource and gets the same defaults as other Activities. I suppose it would be quite a large undertaking to store separate defaults for every common feature of every type of activity. What has changed is that tracking is enabled by default for all activities, which may make sense for most activities, or at least it bypasses problems with trying to add completion requirements after a course has been enrolled - it's safer to start with everything required and remove something.

Daniel Bond
by Daniel Bond - Friday, 5 October 2012, 7:40 AM

Oh, I see, that makes sense now, I assumed that settings were per Activity type rather than a default set for all activities/resources. Can definitely see why it makes sense for tracking to be on by default as well.

I think the 0.1% might be something along the lines of "If you have read this and agree, tick the box on the right to confirm" although I'm sure there are other ways to do that.

Once again, thank you for your efforts.