Best practice forum (Archived)

Format of "Grade" in the course_completion data source

Daniel Bond
Format of "Grade" in the course_completion data source
by Daniel Bond - Wednesday, 26 September 2012, 6:08 AM
Group Most helpful contributor 2023

We currently have a report, created from the course_completion data source, which displays name, course, etc. One of the columns, Grade, displays the grade achieved as a percentage, which for courses which mark out of 100 is fine. The problem comes where a course is scored using a quiz with a maximum mark of 12, and a pass mark of 10. When viewing the report, someone getting all of the questions right would get the following for Grade in the report:

12% (10% to complete)

When viewing the marks in the Grader Report for the course, setting the Category Total setting to "Grade display type: Real" gives the mark as 12, and setting it to "Grade display type: Percentage" gives 100%. Both settings give the same result in the report, which is the above.

Any suggestions how we can get the report to calculate the actual percentage for the course rather than simply reporting the mark with a % sign after?

me
Re: Format of "Grade" in the course_completion data source
by George Angus - Sunday, 30 September 2012, 2:35 PM
Group Totara

Hi Dan,

Can you tell me which version of Totara you are using?

regards,

George.

Daniel Bond
by Daniel Bond - Monday, 1 October 2012, 1:30 AM
Version 2.2.2 (Build: 20120829.00).
me
by George Angus - Monday, 1 October 2012, 1:09 PM
Group Totara

Hi Dan,

One way to solve this would be to edit the Grade item settings using a scaling of 100/12 (8.33).  

To get into the scaling for the activity go into the Course administration > Grades

In the choose an action drop down box select under categories and items select Simple view

Select Edit

This will bring up the Edit grade item settings

In here is the Multiplicator and Grade Display Type etc here you can choose number of decimal points etc.

regards,

George.

Daniel Bond
by Daniel Bond - Tuesday, 2 October 2012, 2:11 AM
Thanks, oddly enough when I went to follow your instructions I ended up realising what the problem was. Rather than setting a multiplyer, simply changing the maximum grade for the quiz to 100, and then the grades required to pass to 80 seems to have sorted it. Can't say I 100% understand how the maximum grade for a quiz can be greater than the sum of the individual grades for the questions, but it seems to work so that's OK.