Best practice forum (Archived)

Best way to tackle people who leave the organisation

Jo Lowe
Best way to tackle people who leave the organisation
by Jo Lowe - Tuesday, 2 October 2012, 8:57 PM

What's the best way to tackle this.

I've got people who've left the organisation, so I'd like to make them inactive but still be able to see their training records if needed.

I've also got people on such things as maternity leave so I need to be able to bring them back again.

Currently, I'm putting in an end date on their position plus suspending their account.  But is there anything else I should be doing?

Thanks.

Jo Lowe

me
Re: Best way to tackle people who leave the organisation
by George Angus - Wednesday, 3 October 2012, 1:28 PM
Group Totara

Hi Jo,

An easy and effective workaround would be to simply hide the user. I think there is a way to archive users which would be better if you are dealing with high numbers, Ill get back to you on that. Also Im not clear if there are any data protection issues regarding the storing of personal data in Australia but its maybe something you should be aware of.

regards,

George.

Jo Lowe
by Jo Lowe - Thursday, 4 October 2012, 8:58 PM

Hi George

Thanks for the reply.  Looks like my leavers are already hidden (greyed out) when I go to browse list of users.  I'm not sure if that's because I suspended acct or put a finish date on their position though.

BUT they're appearing just like normal in my reports - if I could get them greyed out in there that would be useful.

Thanks and regards.

Jo

Alan Bradshaw
by Alan Bradshaw - Friday, 5 October 2012, 12:25 AM

There was a recent update to reports to enable filtering out hidden Courses. Maybe this could easily be added to Users too … and other fields.
Patrick Appleyard
by Patrick Appleyard - Friday, 5 October 2012, 5:01 AM

Hi Jo

We have only been using Totara for a few months and came across problems with deleting people at the beginning.  We had learners enrolled on a Self Completion course, but when we deleted them they keep coming up on reports.  This has made us look at the whole approach of how we delete / archive users.

We are planning to set up an Organisation that is 'No Longer Employer', which we will put the learners in.  We will also suspend the account.  This will keep them coming up on reports if we want them to.

To exclude them, you can use the filter to remove the particular organiation they are in.

Its not a perfect solution, but this is what we are looking to do shortly.

We have just moved to Totara 2.2 so held back on a few things until this was settled.  So we will be doing this in the next few weeks.

Regards

Patrick

Jo Lowe
by Jo Lowe - Sunday, 17 February 2013, 10:46 PM

Hi George

I've not managed to find an answer to this one.  It's upsetting my managers who are seeing ex-staff on their My Team and My Reports tab. 

Like I said I've suspended ex-staff's accounts and put a finish date in for them.  They appear as greyed out on the list of users, but are coming up like normal users in My Team and reports.

Only fix I've found it is to put a column for finish date in reports but that's still a bit messy.

Any one any ideas? How do you all tackle this?

Patrick's idea was good but I use organisations for my different business units so I'm going to lose that info if I put them into an ex-employee organisation (I think!).

Cheers.

Jo

Craig Eves
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Monday, 18 February 2013, 12:52 PM
Group Totara

Hi Jo

This was discussed a while ago on https://totara.community/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=16538#p2724

There was a work around for reports by filtering out usernames with @ in them as deleted users have this included - but its not good practice to delete users.

Its also possible to use the no login or suspend account settings - unfortunately one solution doesn't fit all organisation requirements. I am not sure if work on a configurable inactive user filter has progressed. There is a last login date in most report sources now but there doesn't appear to be a filter for suspended or inactive users in the report sources.

Craig

me
by George Angus - Monday, 18 February 2013, 6:50 PM
Group Totara

Hi Jo,

It would be worthwhile editing the user's position etc too.

cheers,

G.

Jo Lowe
by Jo Lowe - Monday, 18 February 2013, 7:28 PM

Hi George/Craig

I can see this one needs to be filed under can of worms!  Even with our small system most of the time we don't want to see people who've left, but then occassionally you'd want to run historical reports where you do. So I'd put my hand up for an option or greyed out display for inactive across the board (it does do it in some places).

I don't think deleting people is going to work for me as we have a high proportion of people who return.

Couple of options occur to me (in addition to suspending their account which is what I do now):

a) Could I manually change their user name to include something like @ or #.  Then can I filter out any names including that character?  But I don't think that would solve people appearing in My Team tab, but at least it would be obvious once I'd explained it.  Ideally there'd be a character that would come after Z that would send those people to the bottom of the list.

b) Could I set up a new profile field such as suspended or some such.  Then can I search and filter on this?

Waddyareckon?

Cheers.

Jo

me
by George Angus - Monday, 18 February 2013, 7:48 PM
Group Totara

Hi Jo,

I think a new profile field might be better than changing the name, but editing their profile so they no longer have a manager/position would take care of the Myteam issue.

cheers,

George.

David Curry (Core Developer)
by David Curry (Core Developer) - Monday, 18 February 2013, 7:51 PM
Group Totara

Hey,

Sounds like we need to add a 'show suspended' and 'show deleted' option in the content tab for reports based on user sources. I've added that to the hide deleted users bug. In the short term, you could add a checkbox custom user profile field called 'suspended' and create a filter off that rather than editing their information?

Cheers
David

David Curry (Core Developer)
by David Curry (Core Developer) - Wednesday, 10 April 2013, 8:16 PM
Group Totara
Hey everyone,

With todays (11 Apr 2013) release of Totara 2.2.17 we have added a 'User Status' filter to report builder reports. This lets you filter by 'Deleted users only' and 'Active users only', it isn't a full fix but hopefully this helps.

Cheers
David