Best practice forum (Archived)

Totara Integration with Microsoft Great Plains AKA Microsoft Dynamics GP

Shazia Soofi
Totara Integration with Microsoft Great Plains AKA Microsoft Dynamics GP
by Shazia Soofi - Thursday, 29 November 2012, 12:06 PM

Hello everyone!

I have a customer that has a requirement for Totara to be integrated with Microsoft Dynamics GP.  They are asking for confirmation that this can be done - wondering if anyone has accomplished this task.

I have scoped the project with a technical rep and according to the information it is definitely possible.  The client just wants to know if any others have done this, too.

Any information you can share on this topic will be appreciated.  My thanks in advance.

Shazia Soofi - Lambda Solutions, Inc.

me
Re: Totara Integration with Microsoft Great Plains AKA Microsoft Dynamics GP
by George Angus - Thursday, 29 November 2012, 1:37 PM
Group Totara

Hi Shazia,

As far as Im aware this hasn't been done, and there has been no specific work on Totara for this - but depending on what you need it may be quite straightforward.

regards,

George.

Tony Richens
Re: Totara Integration with Microsoft Great Plains AKA Microsoft Dynamics GP
by Tony Richens - Friday, 30 November 2012, 1:07 AM
Group Partners

Hi Shazia,

We have implemented a 2-way integration with MS Dynamics.

In Totara an admin would pre-create courses using 'Course_id' as the link between Totara & Dynamics.

Totara recieved 2 files from Dynamics on a scheduled basis;

course_assignments.csv - Contains details of courses & users who were assigned to those courses (course name, course_id, username)

users.csv - new users i.e. those that have been created or amended since the last time the process was run. - Standard bulk user import script setup to be called by cron 

Our process then imported the users followed by the courses, thereby assigning users to courses.

We then exported 'results.csv' which contained details of; users, courses, status & passmark, which was then imported into Dynamics. The client then ran MI reports against Dynamics as well as reports from within Totara.

Hope the above helps

Tony