Best practice forum (Archived)

This forum discussion has been removed

This forum post has been removed
Monday, 17 December 2012, 2:37 PM
The content of this forum post has been removed and can no longer be accessed.
me
Re: Auto-continue in Totara 2 no longer advancing Scorm to next Learning Object
by George Angus - Monday, 17 December 2012, 4:53 PM
Group Totara

Hi Fergal,

Could you open a support ticket & attach a copy of the SCORM, also screenshots of SCORM settings would be useful.

regards,

George,

Tuesday, 18 December 2012, 6:33 AM
Simon Coggins
by Simon Coggins - Tuesday, 18 December 2012, 3:05 PM
Group Totara

Hi Fergal,

Regarding the height, if you choose current window for the "Display package" then you don't get to select the dimensions as they are only relevant for a new window.

I've looked into your issue and it seems you may have been affected by this bug:

http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-31717

which seems to indicate a problem with auto-continue in 2.2. I'll talk to Dan (the SCORM maintainer) and see if he has any ideas on how we can fix it.

Simon

Tuesday, 18 December 2012, 3:19 PM
Dan Marsden
by Dan Marsden - Tuesday, 18 December 2012, 3:55 PM

from what I remember that auto-continue code never worked reliably for all SCORM packages (even in Moodle 1.9) - I vaguely recall the code being a bit messy in the first place.

There also hasn't been much noise in the forums or the tracker about the auto-continue setting so I don't think it's used all that widely. The bug Simon points to was reported in Feb and if you include the other related auto-continue bugs in the tracker there is only a handful of people who are involved in those issues. A good start would be for you to go and add your vote to the tracker issues that you are interested in.

From what I understand - many SCORM authoring tools allow you to author packages that continue to the next sco automatically too - so many people may have fixed this by modifying how their SCORM packages are authored rather that rely on Moodle to do this.

I'm off on leave now until mid Jan but unless someone funds the time for me to look into this it's likely to sit in the tracker for a bit longer. My work as SCORM maintainer is done as a volunteer.

hope you have a great Christmas!

Simon Coggins
by Simon Coggins - Tuesday, 18 December 2012, 7:20 PM
Group Totara

First I'd like to thank Dan for the great work he does on the SCORM module for Moodle and the help he has given us when we've come up against issues. As he says he's a volunteer and so there is no obligation for him to fix things but very often he does anyway and it's always very much appreciated!

However we (Totara) are obliged to fix this as it is affecting a subscriber, so we will assign it to one of our developers and see if we can resolve it (and upstream the fix of course). I know from experience that debugging issues like this can be a bit tricky though. We'll see if we can make some progress and if we get stuck we may have to look into funding Dan to help us out.

Simon

Wednesday, 19 December 2012, 3:31 AM
Simon Coggins
by Simon Coggins - Monday, 7 January 2013, 5:10 PM
Group Totara

After a lot of investigation I believe I have found the cause of these issues.

It seems to be a regression caused by this fix:

https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-24728

The issue is that when the table of contents is updated it is including the 'top level' item which is just the title instead of excluding it as it should. That impacts on the auto-continue functionality because SCORM uses the structure of the table of contents to determine the next SCO to play.

This does not appear to be an issue in 2.4 due to other changes so my proposed fix is to temporarily undo the change made by MDL-24728 since it doesn't seem to be behaving as expected.

More details are available on totara bug T-10222.

I'll push a fix into a release as soon as Fergal has been able to do some more testing.

Simon

Tuesday, 8 January 2013, 7:15 AM
? ?
by ? ? - Wednesday, 13 March 2013, 7:12 PM

A patch to resolve this issue is included in today's (14th March 2013) release of Totara 2.2.16