Best practice forum (Archived)

Program messages "send to manager"

Darren Roberts
Program messages "send to manager"
by Darren Roberts - Thursday, 10 January 2013, 4:00 AM

Hi

Quick question on the "Send notice to Manager" option in program messages - what does the Manager actually receive, and how does he know who it relates to?

A cursory look at the code suggests the email appears to the manager as having been sent by the affected user, but presumably only contains the text specified in the "Notice for manager" input field. Is this correct?

Cheers

Darren

David Curry (Core Developer)
Re: Program messages "send to manager"
by David Curry (Core Developer) - Thursday, 10 January 2013, 11:47 AM
Group Totara

Hey Darren,

Yes the email the manager recieves only contains the text specified in the input field, with the substitution variables (e.g. %programfullname%) replaced for their relevant values. There are also plans to add a %username% replacement variable to go with the existing two in the near future since this has come up a few times recently.

Cheers,
David

Paul Mountfort
by Paul Mountfort - Tuesday, 23 April 2013, 5:35 PM

Hi David,

Yes, %username% would be a great substitution variable! I've recently attempted to use it in my enrolment message.

Paul

by David Curry (Core Developer) - Tuesday, 23 April 2013, 6:03 PM
Group Totara

Hey Paul,

We add a new replacement variable in 2.2.13, %userfullname% This will be replaced by the recipient's full name (e.g. David Curry). So if you are on 2.2.13 or higher you could use that, unless there is a specific reason you wanted username over fullname? Also let us know if there are any other variables you think would be good there, I think a couple more wouldn't be a bad idea.

Cheers
David

James Igoe
by James Igoe - Wednesday, 24 April 2013, 1:50 AM

I agree with one of Paul's recent posts that including %username% as a substitution variable would be a great addition to the SV list. Like Paul, when enrolling bulk students in our LMS, we could use an automated enrolment message sent out to each user with their %username% and a generic password, which everyone will have to change when they first login. 

I agree with Paul that this would cut down on a heap of admin.

While including %userfullname% would be useful, it would not be as useful as including %username%.

Cheers
James 

Paul Mountfort
by Paul Mountfort - Thursday, 25 April 2013, 4:58 PM

Hi David,

Awesome, I'll add that SV in. We are having a similiar conversation over here. We are currently on 2.2.16. 

Perhaps other variables such their assigned manager/trainer full name and email? (This is not a necessity, however, it would be good to enrol students and automate an enrolment message with who their assigned trainer is, so if the student has any questions on the LMS they know who to contact and how).

Cheers,

Paul

by David Curry (Core Developer) - Thursday, 25 April 2013, 5:21 PM
Group Totara

Manager name/email isn't a bad idea, I'll add it to the bug

Cheers
David