Best practice forum (Archived)

Report to show all of a person's employees not just direct reports

Fred Nipper
Report to show all of a person's employees not just direct reports
by Fred Nipper - Friday, 12 April 2013, 9:47 AM

Hi Everyone,

We are beginning to build our reports, and I haven't figured this one out yet.  How would I go about building a report for a leader that will show not only their own scores and their direct reports scores, but to show all of the employees that would fall down the chain through their direct reports?

For example a Vice president has 2 managers.  I would need a report that shows the Vice president their scores, plus their direct reports (the 2 managers), plus anyone else who reports up through those managers down to the line level employees.

Hopefully this makes sense and someone can point me in the right direction.

Thanks!

Fred

Amir Elion
Re: Report to show all of a person's employees not just direct reports
by Amir Elion - Friday, 12 April 2013, 10:36 AM

Hi Fred
Go to the report's Content tab.
Restrict the content by using: Show by User's Current Organisation
Choose Show records from staff in the user's organisation and Include child organizations.
This should do the trick assuming your hierarchies are built correctly and users all assigned to the hierarchies.
See:
http://help.totaralms.com/Report_settings.htm
Fred Nipper
by Fred Nipper - Friday, 12 April 2013, 10:50 AM

Thanks Amir.  I'll double check the heirchy structure and give it a try and let you know how it turns out.
Craig Eves
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Sunday, 14 April 2013, 3:09 PM
Group Totara

Hi Fred

Amir's approach should work if you are wanting the overall course grade.

If you are wanting the individual grades for course activities then you would need to use the course grade report because activity grades are not included in a report builder source. The course report could be exported and combined in a spreadsheet with the course completion report from the report builder.

Let us know if you do want to include course activity grades and are having difficulty combining using the LOOKUP function.

Craig

Fred Nipper
by Fred Nipper - Monday, 22 April 2013, 1:11 PM

Update to my question....We reworked our heirarchy and got the reporting to work, however, a manager is not able to see some of their people.

I'm fairly certain this has to do with the job titles.  The report that we got to work was based on our reorganization of our positions (Job Titles) and then we used the nesting criteria on the report to show at or below their current position.  This worked well for the most part, but the issue came about because in our company, we have certain positions (Job Titles) that are identical, yet they report up the chain through different means.  For example.  Two employees have the exact same position (job title), yet they report up through different chains of command.

Since we have an automatic CSV upload daily that inputs an employee's current position, I can't manually change everyone's job title daily to make it work.  Does anyone know if it is possible to have the same job title appear in two different locations within the position heirarchy?

Or some other way to get this to work?

Thanks,

Fred

me
by George Angus - Tuesday, 23 April 2013, 3:53 PM
Group Totara

Hi Fred,

It is possible to use the same job tiotle, but it can lead to confusion. I think using Position types might go some way to solving this.

cheers,

George.

Fred Nipper
by Fred Nipper - Wednesday, 24 April 2013, 5:45 AM

Thanks George.  Can you explain more about the Position Type, or point me to some information on what that is and how it should be set up?

me
by George Angus - Thursday, 25 April 2013, 9:52 PM
Group Totara

Hi Fred,

There's some info here: http://help.totaralms.com/index.htm (seach - position type). Its basically a custom field you can use as a filter a report so you could have several positions with the same name, but differentiated by type. 

They can be set under positions>manage types.

Hope this is useful,

cheers,

George.

Danielle Hamilton
by Danielle Hamilton - Friday, 26 April 2013, 2:08 AM

Hi Fred,

Just to let you know that we've built a custom content control for the report builder which allows you to tick that the user should see 'direct reports and all those below.' This will allow you to use the management structure to facilitate a report which shows all users a manager overseed, rather than the organisation structure. We have comitted this code bakc to Totara for review as we often get asked for this fucntionality - I will check where it's got to.

Thanks

Dani

Kathie Robeson
by Kathie Robeson - Friday, 26 April 2013, 4:57 AM

Fantastic!  Thank you so much - looking forward to this feature.

Fred Nipper
by Fred Nipper - Friday, 26 April 2013, 6:51 AM

Thanks Danielle!  That would be great if you could share the code for everyone.  This would make a lot of people happy :)