Best practice forum (Archived)

Reporting on Grades and Calculations

Scott Young
Reporting on Grades and Calculations
by Scott Young - Thursday, 24 January 2013, 2:13 AM

Hello

I would like to know if it is possible to run reports on the data contained in Grades for a number of courses?

We are looking to introduce pre and post course tests to our training, the idea being we can track the improvement the course brings, ie the increase in knowledge from what students knew before the training and after.  

I can see how i can add in a Grade Category, and in there create a calculation that would subtract the pre-test score for the post test score, giving a numerical increase (hopefully).  What i'd like to be able to do is run a report that captures that information, but not just for single course, for a all, or a range of courses.

Has anyone had any success runing reports on this data?

Thanks

Scott

me
Re: Reporting on Grades and Calculations
by George Angus - Thursday, 24 January 2013, 2:00 PM
Group Totara

Hi Scott,

I think the best solution for this would be to export the data to a spreadsheet and perform the stats operations there, this would enable graphical reporting etc too.

hope this is useful,

George.

Craig Eves
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Thursday, 24 January 2013, 2:19 PM
Group Totara

Hi Scott

To report across several courses on grades the report builder should be used.

Currently the grades available in the report sources in the report builder only seem to be at a course rather than activity level (apart from the SCORM report source) so this could be done on SCORM tests or if  pre and post tests are in separate courses.

The calculation could be done in Excel from the exported report in report builder.

It is possible to create or edit a report source to do the calculation you want but would require some coding to achieve.

Craig

Amir Elion
by Amir Elion - Thursday, 24 January 2013, 8:06 PM

There might be a way to do this, albeit not the simplest.
As you noticed you can add a calculated item to the courses with the post test minus pretest grade.
I believe you may set that calculated grade to be the final determining course grade (should be on the Grades) link in the course. You'll need to repeat this for each of the courses.
Then use the report builder to collect and display all course final grades for tge users which are in effect the gap grades.

Regarding graphical reports, we are wirking on adding graph capability to report builder and actually got a POC prototype working already, but it will take some time to iron it out.

Amir