Best practice forum (Archived)

Time tracking in a course?

Matthew Lee
Time tracking in a course?
by Matthew Lee - Monday, 28 January 2013, 3:21 PM

Hi everyone

I've got client that wants to be able to track the amount of time that a student spends in a course. I know how we could do this with scorm objects and such, but what if they want to take all types of resource views and activities into consideration? Is there a way to do this and then is there a custom report that could be set up to show it. For example they want to be able to set up a report that would show an individual and how much training they participated in last month. Does this make sense?

thanks in advance for any ideas here.

Matt

me
Re: Time tracking in a course?
by George Angus - Monday, 28 January 2013, 3:37 PM
Group Totara

Hi Matt,

As far as Im aware there is no reliable/accurate way to do this.

Regards,

George.

me
by George Angus - Tuesday, 29 January 2013, 12:58 PM
Group Totara

Matt - just for clarity - this is mainly due to the difficulties in assessing whether someone is actually engaged in learning at their computer or is on the phone/has gone away etc. rather than any intrinsic problems with Totara.

hope this helps,

George.

David
by David Shaw - Wednesday, 30 January 2013, 1:34 AM

A quick search of the Moodle plugins directory gives me this. https://moodle.org/plugins/view.php?plugin=mod_attendanceregister.  I've never used it but it may be what you are looking for. 

As mentioned by George this will never be very accurate as you can't be sure of someone has just opened the course page and then gone off to do something else.