Best practice forum (Archived)

This forum discussion has been removed

This forum post has been removed
Friday, 1 February 2013, 7:16 AM
The content of this forum post has been removed and can no longer be accessed.
This forum post has been removed
Friday, 1 February 2013, 10:35 AM
The content of this forum post has been removed and can no longer be accessed.
Craig Eves
Re: Course Catalogue
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Sunday, 3 February 2013, 1:27 PM
Group Totara

If you do choose to set up a database activity in Totara to store course catalogue information then it is possible to import entries from a csv file into the database .You could create a report in the reportbuilder that include the necessary fields and values in each row and export as csv.

To see the format expected when importing the csv file - use the export database and use this  as a basis for your csv file.

Craig

Piers Harding
by Piers Harding - Sunday, 3 February 2013, 2:44 PM

Hi -

There is another option - you can look at the Moodle Course Uploader here https://github.com/piersharding/moodle-tool_uploadcourse - I'm not sure about the version compatibility with Totara, though as it requires the Moodle admin tools plugin arcitecture which I think is either 2.2 or 2.3.

Cheers,

Piers Harding.

Austen Sinclair
by Austen Sinclair - Sunday, 3 February 2013, 12:52 PM
Group PartnersGroup TXP Site Administrator

Hi Darren

We have the same issue - but with only 2,500 course its on a much smaller scale. We made the decision some years ago to make all training (and the majority of non-training development activities) to appear in the LMS. Our interest was in creating visibility of available development, addressing duplication, and of improving the selection process.

We have a central admin person creating pages for external training (staff then book via the face-to-face module), local L&D folk creating pages for their business areas (often F2F as well), and we've been creating pages for non-training development such as reading lists & work tasks. In December we added pre-formatted Comments to associate with Competencies (along with course pages) to capture 'soft' development activities.

Years ago we looked at the Moodle script for uploading bulk courses (https://moodle.org/mod/data/view.php?d=13&rid=1536) but this didn't meet our requirements as we'd still have to visit each page and tidy it up.

I'd be really interested to hear on options you consider and what you decide on!

Cheers
Austen

Alexander Roche
by Alexander Roche - Sunday, 3 February 2013, 10:35 PM
Group Partners

Darren, We have developed a custom catalogue that could do what you want I think. Pls email me at lx@androgogic.com

? ?
by ? ? - Friday, 15 February 2013, 7:33 AM

Alexander

I would be interested in your custom catalogue, I did send you an email but don't know if you have received it