Best practice forum (Archived)

Using Moodle Language Packs

Bodo Hoenen
Using Moodle Language Packs
by Bodo Hoenen - Tuesday, 19 February 2013, 7:26 AM

Hello 

Question regarding the use of Moodle language packs in Totara (using Totara 2.2.14)

Are there any issues (beside the totara strings not being translated) in installing and using Moodle language packs in Totara?

Regards

Bodo

? ?
Re: Using Moodle Language Packs
by ? ? - Tuesday, 19 February 2013, 12:21 PM

Hi Bodo,

Well obviously none of the Totara strings, about 1/3 of the total, will not be present and some of the Moodle packs themselves aren't in very good shape with many strings missing, but they should work fine. You'll also have to manually update them and you may get a warning notice on every upgrade that Totara couldn't find an updated version of that pack.

Simply download the pack from http://download.moodle.org/langpack/2.2/ and unzip it to your moodledata directory ($CFG->dataroot in your config.php)

Richard Wyles
by Richard Wyles - Tuesday, 19 February 2013, 2:48 PM

Hi Bodo,

Are you after specific language packs? They may be being planned.

Michelle Naylor
by Michelle Naylor - Wednesday, 20 February 2013, 12:10 AM

Hi Richard,

Do you have a list of the planned language packs?

I would be very interested in what other languages are planned as we are constantly looking to update the global availability of our LMS.  We currently have our LMS available in 11 languages but are always looking to add more.

We are in the process of testing our UAT site for the upgrade to 2.2.13, and once we have signed this off then we will be moving to 2.2.14 / 15 or which ever will be the latest.

If you would be so kind in letting me know, that would be great.

Many Thanks

Michelle

Michelle.Naylor@gkn.com

Bodo Hoenen
by Bodo Hoenen - Wednesday, 20 February 2013, 5:11 AM

Hi Richard, My Client is interested in Russian and Korean.
Bodo Hoenen
by Bodo Hoenen - Wednesday, 20 February 2013, 5:22 AM

Great thank you Ciaran for your confirmation,

I'll use Moodle language packs for partial translation for the time being, and potentially use local language customizations to amend any obvious language strings that are missing.

? ?
by ? ? - Wednesday, 20 February 2013, 2:08 PM

For both Bodo and Michelle:

Just pointing out that the whole language pack issue was in transition for a long time from the old 1.1 way of doing things, and that 2.2.14 was the final step towards the new architecture so if you are adding any Moodle packs manually, I'd recommend getting to version 2.2.14 first.