Best practice forum (Archived)

Totara Sync - CSV Source for custom field not saving

Bodo Hoenen
Totara Sync - CSV Source for custom field not saving
by Bodo Hoenen - Monday, 25 February 2013, 8:05 AM

Hello

Issue with Totara Sync when renaming custom field shortname (Totara 2.2.15)

We have setup a number of custom fields on the user profiel that we are syncing  with Totara Sync. however after renaming a filed's shortname, we noticed that it could no longer be used when setting up the source settings on the Totara sync > sources > user - CSV source settings page. I can select the field and save the selection but after the page refreshes the selection is not saved. If however I change the short name back to what it was I can again use the field in Totara Sync.

I take it that this is a bug? 

Regards

Bodo

me
Re: Totara Sync - CSV Source for custom field not saving
by George Angus - Monday, 25 February 2013, 2:40 PM
Group Totara

Hi Bodo,

I cant recreate this - are you certain its the shortname and not the actual name you are changing?

regards,

George.

Craig Eves
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Monday, 25 February 2013, 3:17 PM
Group Totara

Hi Bodo

One thought, can you try using lower case characters in the field's shortname and standard characters and see if this makes a difference as shortnames in other areas  are required to be lowercase.

Craig

Bodo Hoenen
by Bodo Hoenen - Tuesday, 26 February 2013, 5:29 AM

Hi Craig, George.

to add some more detail, The short name field name was initially setup with an upper case letter [Movies] we tested the sync and everything worked. Then after realising the field had a capital we changed it to lower case [movies]. This is when the sync no longer worked. Only after changing the short name field back to what it was [Moviesdid it again work.

This occured on our 2.2.14 dev server and also on a fresh 2.2.15 server.

Hope this provides enough information to recreate the error.

Regards

Bodo

me
by George Angus - Tuesday, 26 February 2013, 8:05 PM
Group Totara

Hi Bodo,

Did you change the corresponding field name in the CSV file?

cheers,

George.

Bodo Hoenen
by Bodo Hoenen - Wednesday, 27 February 2013, 5:55 AM

Hi George, the issue occurs before we get to the stage of importing the CSV.

On the Totara Sync > Sources > User > CSV settings page when you select which fields to use in the import I can select the Music fields but the selection does not save (see screen shot)

If I change the short name of that field back to what it was originally I.E with capitals, then the selection can be saved.

me
by George Angus - Wednesday, 27 February 2013, 12:53 PM
Group Totara

Hi Bodo,

If you have a look at the top of the page you'll see a description of the CSV structure, when you change the name of a field it disappears from the list, this is because its no longer selected (as the name has been changed). Just click in the box again and the new name will appear in the list - it will have been selelcted with the new name.

hope this solves it!

cheers,

George.