Best practice forum (Archived)

en_us edit string in en_us language pack is wrong

Jamie Kramer
en_us edit string in en_us language pack is wrong
by Jamie Kramer - Thursday, 28 February 2013, 1:11 PM

The 'edit' string in lang/en_us/moodle.php in the en_us language pack seems to be incorrect. The manifestation of this problem can be seen in the user listing (as administrator). The column header for 'Edit' looks like this: 'Edit {$a}'  This is happening in 2.2.15 (upgraded from earlier versions), even after performing "Update all installed language packs" in the Languages area.

Workaround is to customize the language pack, either manually or via Language Customization within Totara. I changed the string in lang/en_us/moodle.php at line 483:

$string['edit'] = 'Edit {$a}';

to

$string['edit'] = 'Edit';

I'm curious if others have seen this problem or if this might be a bug.

Jamie

Jamie Kramer
Re: en_us edit string in en_us language pack is wrong
by Jamie Kramer - Thursday, 28 February 2013, 1:18 PM

To clarify, I did not directly edit lang/en_us/moodle.php but rather intended to point out the problem. I customized the string via Totara's "customize language" feature.

Jamie

Jamie Kramer
by Jamie Kramer - Thursday, 28 February 2013, 1:22 PM

{$a} is a placeholder that is not being interpreted correctly, and does not exist in the base en language string.
Ciaran Irvine (Core Developer)
by Ciaran Irvine (Core Developer) - Thursday, 28 February 2013, 1:29 PM

Hi Jamie,

You are right, the string in both en_us and es_es contained a placeholder $a that wasn't supposed to be there. I've fixed it on AMOS so the nightly build of language packs should have this change on the next rebuild (midnight tonight, New Zealand time).