Best practice forum (Archived)

SSO using web services for ASP membership

Dominic Park
SSO using web services for ASP membership
by Dominic Park - Wednesday, 6 March 2013, 5:11 PM

Hi all,

I am in the process of managing the implementation of Moodle for my organisation and I'm at the cross roads on the web services section.

Breakdown: Basically we have a bespoke system that uses ASP.NET membership databases to provide secure logins for our staff. We want to be able to use these logins within Moodle and to do this we've decided that a web service layer is best. 

Within our authentication system we have added a section call "Moodle" and a drop down list which displays relevant groups (which within Moodle will be audiences). 

Now I've located the web services section within Moodle, but I am not 100% confident on which ones I should use. I've instructed our developers to write a web service that will push the data out which will provide the users details, ID, PWD and which audience they are applicable to, but I am not sure which web service in Moodle to model off I.E. core_group_add_group_members etc.

I'm stumped any thoughts / help will be greatly appreciated! Thanks for taking the time to read this question?

Regards,

Dominic