Best practice forum (Archived)

Assigning "all below" by organisation to a program

Daniel Bond
Assigning "all below" by organisation to a program
by Daniel Bond - Wednesday, 13 March 2013, 9:18 AM
Group Most helpful contributor 2023

Not sure if I am misunderstanding the concept of all below or not, but here is the scenario:

We have set up an organisation hierarchy along the lines of:

Whole Organisation -> Business Unit -> Division -> Department -> Team

and have added people to it. What we would like to be able to do is assign everyone within a certain part of the organisation to a specific program, for example everyone in a certain business unit or department or the whole organisation. Since staff would logically sit at the team level (or possibly department if there are no teams), the expected behaviour would be that adding a business unit would give 0 people, and then ticking the all below box would add everyone in that business unit (at all levels down to team).

Unfortunately, what appears to happen is that only those assigned directly to the business unit in question are added, those below in the divisions, departments, etc. are not included. Is this the expected behaviour or has something gone wrong?

me
Re: Assigning "all below" by organisation to a program
by George Angus - Wednesday, 13 March 2013, 2:55 PM
Group Totara

Hi Dan,

I couldnt replicate this - I think something is amiss somewhere. Id double check your hiearchy set-up and make sure the users are assigned where they are supposed to be. If you eliminate those and its still not working please get back.

regards,

George.

Daniel Bond
Re: Assigning "all below" by organisation to a program
by Daniel Bond - Monday, 18 March 2013, 2:47 AM
Group Most helpful contributor 2023

This issue has now been resolved, and it appears to be a combination of user error (on my part) and a slightly confusing interface. It turns out, even though something spins when you tick the All Below option, the number of people below in the hierarchy doesn't get updated until the changes are saved. Because I had ticked the box and the number hadn't changed, I never bothered to press Save, and therefore never discovered that the feature does work!

Thanks to Synergy, our Totara partner, for excellent support (and putting up with this sort of question with good humour!)