Best practice forum (Archived)

Getting rid of percentages in Course Score reports

Suganthan Vivekananthan
Getting rid of percentages in Course Score reports
by Suganthan Vivekananthan - Thursday, 21 March 2013, 6:07 PM

Hi All,

I hope someone out there has an idea for this issue or perhaps can point me in a good direction. I think I have tried just about everything.

Our organization grants continuing education credits for completing face to face sessions, and in the future completing online learning courses.

We would like to develop a report that shows the courses a person has completed and the Continuing Educaiton Credits. e.g. 1.0, 2.0 , 30.

We tried putting a custom field into botht he course and f2f session activities called CEU credits, but the problem with that is that the credits appear on the reports regardless of student status. 

Becasue percentages are not really useful to us, we are now thinking taht it might be a better approach to use the letter grades feature, and just translate a letter grade to a meaning ful CEU credit.... For example, if they pass (complete) a course they would get a 3.0 and if the fail they would get a 0 for a "letter". Regretfully there seems to be no way to get letter grades into any Totara reports.

So the next best option would be to change the passing score to a course to being anything greater than 1 and make the courses out of 1-3, so essentially the same as the letter appraoch but we would mess with the course pass fail and grading formulas. This is sort of working for us, but it seems that Totara reports always add a % sign after the course score so if we change the title of the column to CEU Credits it still looks funny to see something like 3%.

Any ideas? My real wish would be some way to bring letter grades into the report, that would be sweet. 

Craig Eves
Re: Getting rid of percentages in Course Score reports
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Thursday, 21 March 2013, 6:48 PM
Group Totara

Hi Kirk

There is an options in Totara 2 under Site admin for displaying grades - including the letter option.

Site admin >Grades > General settings or report settings > Grade display type > Letter

I am not sure if this pulls through to the Report builder sources , if it doesn't you could just use the Grader report to show letter credits.

Craig

Suganthan Vivekananthan
by Suganthan Vivekananthan - Thursday, 21 March 2013, 7:18 PM

Hi Craig - thanks for the quick reply,

No, when I set that, it does not pull it through that would be ideal.

I'm not sure what you mean by the grader report. We want the user to be able to see a overall report in their reports tab (we allow this for learners) taht shows courses completion status and any CEU credits for the course. The CEU vlaues are really (ideally) just the letter grades shifted into being credits.

Craig Eves
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Thursday, 21 March 2013, 7:38 PM
Group Totara

Hi Kirk

The grader report is available in a Course under Grades menu - users with the learner role usually can see their own grades and those in the trainer role can see all learners activities that are graded and their mark.

The grader report doesn't show completion status as such but does have a course Total  which is colour coded according to if they have passed (similar in concept to course completion)

Craig

Suganthan Vivekananthan
by Suganthan Vivekananthan - Monday, 25 March 2013, 3:51 PM

Thanks but we want them to see all the courses they took at the same time.
me
by George Angus - Sunday, 24 March 2013, 2:53 PM
Group Totara

Hi Kirk,

Would exporting the report to a CSV then performing grade conversion operations there be useful? 

regards,

George.

Suganthan Vivekananthan
by Suganthan Vivekananthan - Monday, 25 March 2013, 3:50 PM

No - good thought, but this is a report we want the users to be able to generate themselves.
Craig Eves
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Monday, 25 March 2013, 4:27 PM
Group Totara

Hi Kirk

Users can generate their own grade reports but these are only available at an individual course level.

The report builder is able to create reports across courses on the overall grade but not the grade at an activity level. What is needed is a report source to be developed that provides this at an activity level across courses.

There is a competency report source that could possibly be used that user and competency info such as Proficiency (grade) can be reported on across- this competency could be linked to a course.

Craig

me
by George Angus - Wednesday, 27 March 2013, 7:49 PM
Group Totara

I think the key to this is using a sensible grade code which translates directly into credits.