Best practice forum (Archived)

Course Welcome

Dave Cooper
Course Welcome
by Dave Cooper - Thursday, 18 April 2013, 9:38 AM

Hi All,

Is there any way that a personalised welcome can be added to courses. I have been asked for our company induction programme for the employee name to come through upon opening the course.

E.g.

Hi Steve, welcome to The NEC Group.

The data would be taken from the users profile.

Any suggestions?

Dave

me
Re: Course Welcome
by George Angus - Thursday, 18 April 2013, 2:53 PM
Group Totara

Hi Dave,

That isnt possible at the moment, but I've submitted an enhancement request for what you suggest. There is some messaging available in Programes, also if you make the course self-enrollable its possible to customise a welcome email - 

Settings>Course admin>Users>Enrolment methods>Self enrolment

hope this is useful,

regards,

George.

Austen Sinclair
by Austen Sinclair - Thursday, 18 April 2013, 3:00 PM
Group PartnersGroup TXP Site Administrator

Hi Dave

There are probably 'official' ways to do this, but I though I'd share the two ways we do it:

1, We send emails to new when staff when they are assigned the system role of 'Staff Member role' :

Site Admin > Users> Permissions > Define roles

There a section for a "Welcome email message"  which we use to introduce the site, sign them up for induction and also to check that IT have correctly provisioned their account.

2, We automatically enrol all staff in the '90 day survey for new staff' course page (via LDAP settings) and set Completion to 'Duration after enrolment' (90 days) and then use the Reminder emails to invite them to tell us about their first 90 days.

Cheers
Austen

Amir Elion
by Amir Elion - Thursday, 18 April 2013, 8:22 PM

Hi Dave

although it's not a solution for personalizing via the name, I thought it might be worth mentioning you may edit the message sent to the specific course enrolment, in case you or others are not aware of it.

See here:

http://docs.moodle.org/22/en/Self_enrolment#Sending_a_welcome_message_to_new_users

Amir