Best practice forum (Archived)

YouTube embed in lesson not working

Andrew Duval
YouTube embed in lesson not working
by Andrew Duval - Thursday, 27 June 2013, 9:05 PM

I've been trying out the lesson feature for the first time, and can't seem to embed a YouTube video. Below are the various versions of codes I've tried, but they all appear as text in the lesson preview. Does anyone have insights as to why it's not working?

(I have enabled the YouTube filter in the Multimedia Plugins section.)

me
Re: YouTube embed in lesson not working
by George Angus - Thursday, 27 June 2013, 9:39 PM
Group Totara

Hi Andrew,

Type in the text you want as the link - say "video", highlight it - youll notice the link "chain" icons become highlighted, click on "insert link" and paste in the youtube link.

cheers,

George.

Andrew Duval
by Andrew Duval - Thursday, 27 June 2013, 10:24 PM

Thanks, George. That works fine, though I have to say it seems kind of bizarre.

1. It's correct behaviour that you apply a link to a piece of text and then that text disappears to be replaced by an embedded video?

2. Does this mean the information in the Help docs is inaccurate, irrelevant or just easily misunderstood?

Insert the URL of the multimedia resource into your text (which can be the URL of a file in the course files area). When displayed a suitable player will be provided. Totara detects the media type using the filename extension, so you should ensure that the file contents match the extension correctly. [...]

To embed the youtube video, enclose the video URL in [youtube] tags.

(http://help.totaralms.com/Multimedia_Plugin.htm)

me
by George Angus - Sunday, 30 June 2013, 4:58 PM
Group Totara

Hi,

Andrew - my mistake - I was looking at just linking. 

The best way to set this up is first to get the embed code for the youtube video -  if you click on "share" under the video in Youtube, then embed you will see it highted. Copy it, then click on the "Edit HTML Source" icon in the assignment toolbar, then paste in the code. This should do the trick!

regards,

George.

me
by George Angus - Monday, 1 July 2013, 8:33 PM
Group Totara

Hi Andrew,

I got this to work. What version are you using?

regards,

George.