Best practice forum (Archived)

Reminder messages going out too soon!

Michelle Naylor
Reminder messages going out too soon!
by Michelle Naylor - Monday, 15 July 2013, 12:46 AM

Hi All,

We are on version Version 2.2.19

We have recently created a programme (this is the first one we have tried) and added just the one course to this.

We have set up the programme to send out reminders mails to each colleague who has not completed the course but the 30th September.  We tested this before we made the course live with an audience of around 3 people and this worked fine.

When we came to add our full audience (over 500 colleagues), the enrolment message went out fine (although 2 went to each colleague) and within a few hours the final reminders started to go out, however this has not been sent to the full audience, only selected people within the audience.

We duplicated exactly what we did in our testing when it worked fine, so I do not understand why the reminder messages went out.  Has anybody else had this?  Am I missing something?

Many Thanks for your comments and support.

Chelle

me
Re: Reminder messages going out too soon!
by George Angus - Monday, 15 July 2013, 4:29 PM
Group Totara

Hi Michelle,

This could be because of the Set completion criteria under the Assignments tab not being based on a fixed completion date, but rather a number of days relative to an event in the dropdown menu  - is this the case?

Regards,

George.

Michelle Naylor
by Michelle Naylor - Tuesday, 16 July 2013, 11:50 PM

Hi George,

This is not the case for this one.  I have enclosed a screen shot so you can see.

Aprreciate any other ideas you may have.

Many Thanks

Chelle

me
by George Angus - Wednesday, 17 July 2013, 5:34 PM
Group Totara

Hi Chelle,

Could you send me screenshots of the Enrolment message settings & the audience rule settings?

george.angus@Totaralms.com

thanks,

George.

Michelle Naylor
by Michelle Naylor - Tuesday, 30 July 2013, 7:04 AM

Hi George,

Please see attached files as requested.  We have removed the reminder mails from the programme as did not want these going out in error again.

Many Thanks

Chelle

me
by George Angus - Tuesday, 30 July 2013, 8:15 PM
Group Totara

Hi Michelle,

There is a bug which is being worked on now relating to Program messaging and multiple enrolment methods - are there actually 1564 Learners enrolled in the course? Did you ever change the Completion date?

thanks,

George.

Michelle Naylor
by Michelle Naylor - Wednesday, 31 July 2013, 12:09 AM

Hi George,

Yes, we do have more enrolled now as this grows with the audience and any new starters that fit the criteria.

No, we have not changed the Completion date.

Do we have a timeline for when the bug will be fixed?

Cheers

Chelle

David Curry (Core Developer)
by David Curry (Core Developer) - Wednesday, 14 August 2013, 4:20 PM
Group Totara

Hi Michelle,

This bug has been reassigned to me after the original assignee left, it's been lying around for a while so I'm keen to resolve it quickly. Looking at the screen shots you uploaded I do not see a reminder message at all, there is an enrollment, exceptions and course set completion. Could you confirm that it is a reminder message, whether it is a courseset or a program one, and upload a screen shot of its settings?

Also did the people that didn't recieve the reminder get an alert on the my learning page? If so it is possible that some people turned off emails for alerts (which is what is being sent here) through the messaging link under the myprofile settings block. In which case they would recieve an alert on the my learning page but no corresponding email. If not there is something wrong

I'll get started on a patch for the welcome message issue while we try to find the reminder issue.

Cheers
David

Michelle Naylor
by Michelle Naylor - Monday, 19 August 2013, 4:45 AM

Hi David,

Thank you for coming back to me.

As mentioned previously, this was reminder messages that were being sent out too soon, and we have switched them off/removed them to prevent this happening again.

We have one course in a program and have assigned a ‘growing’ audience to this.

When we made the Program ‘live’ duplicate enrolment messages were sent, which is a different issue I have raised and then within 1 hour reminder messages were sent!!!  We checked all of our times etc. for the messages and everything was fine and worked ok when we tested this on an audience of 3 people.

As for turning off the alerts, we do not have this option available to colleagues so no one would have changed this.  At present I am unable to identify if an alert was sent to the individuals learning page.

I look forward to working with you in order to correct this issue as we are afraid to use this functionality as this message was sent to all our senior management and we do not want this to happen again.

Many Thanks for all of your help.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can provide you.

Chelle

by David Curry (Core Developer) - Tuesday, 3 September 2013, 2:42 PM
Group Totara

Hey Michelle,

We have made some fixes to course set groups time due, which is the only ambiguity I could find while testing this. If you have program content joined by an or it puts them together as a group, it was taking the minimum of the items times to use as a due date when this happens when it should have been taking the maximum. This might have been what was causing your early reminder messages going out. We also added `total program minimum time required` to the description of the content and assignments tabs so people can see exactly how long the program needs to run, which should help setting up reminds and assigning people without causing exceptions.
These changes were included in yesterdays release of 2.4.9, however you are on 2.2? I'll make sure to backport them and hopefully they will also be included in the next 2.2 release which should be 2.2.23 on the 24th of Sept. If that is too far away I can send you diff files of the patches after they have been reviewed.

Cheers,
David

Michelle Naylor
by Michelle Naylor - Wednesday, 18 September 2013, 11:45 PM

Hi David,

Thanks for this. 

I appreciate your time.

Chelle

Michelle Naylor
by Michelle Naylor - Tuesday, 22 October 2013, 2:53 AM

Hi David,

Can I just confirm you have included the fix in 2.2.23?

Many Thanks

Chelle

by David Curry (Core Developer) - Tuesday, 22 October 2013, 1:11 PM
Group Totara

Hey Michelle,

Yes, if you look here https://totara.community/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=3308 it is this one "T-11130 Fixed program course set 'or' groups to use max not min time required". Are you still having issues?

Cheers,

David

Michelle Naylor
by Michelle Naylor - Monday, 28 October 2013, 8:12 AM

Hi David,

We have not used it since.

I will go and have a look and come back to you once tested.

Many Thanks

Chelle