Best practice forum (Archived)

Attempts not allways counted depending on starting option

Pavol Facko
Attempts not allways counted depending on starting option
by Pavol Facko - Friday, 2 August 2013, 12:13 AM

Good morning all,

I kindly ask you to help me and share your experience with the following issue - as I am pretty sure there must be an easy solution.

We have created a course were we embedded a SCORM activity which is a SCORM test created in Articulate an uploaded as SCORM 1.2

We now face the problem that only when users start their attempt via pressing enter (in picture number 3) and enabling the checkbox "Start new attempt" get a result submitted and an attempt counted.

If users use the link (in picture number 1) or just press "enter" without enabling the check box "Start new attempt" (in picture number 2) there is no attempt counted and no test result submitted :-(

My problem is that users might do the test and successfully finish but I cannot see it and report it - which is quite obvious a serious problem for deploying the course.

Is there a problem to prevent this problem e.g. change settings so that only the "Enter" button is displayed and not the link to the test?

If you have any idea how to solve the problem please let me know.

cheers Stefan

Note: I am also confused as in the settings there is the option to allow an preview mode which is disabled, and when enabling this "Preview" checkbox additional check boxes are displayed for the users.

me
Re: Attempts not allways counted depending on starting option
by George Angus - Sunday, 4 August 2013, 6:19 PM
Group Totara

Hi Stefan,

Can you sent me a screenshot of your completion settings? 

Thanks,

George.

Pavol Facko
by Pavol Facko - Monday, 5 August 2013, 12:08 AM

Hi George,

please finde belwo the settings from Publishing the SCORM 1.2 in articulate and enclosed the settings from totara course.

Would be great if you could help me finding my mistake :-)

Looking forward to your answer! Thanks, Stefan

me
by George Angus - Monday, 5 August 2013, 9:05 PM
Group Totara

Hi Stefan,

The first attempt the SCORM can be entered from both links, on the second attempt it is in Review mode - that is it replays and thus nothing updated. The start a new attempt box must be clicked end the End button pressed to start again, the other link will have a score or the last attempt next to it and just plays the Review. 

There is some guidance here: 

http://docs.moodle.org/25/en/SCORM_settings

And something further here:

http://joedeegan.blogspot.co.nz/2010/03/scorm-problems-caused-by-moodle-review.html

Hope this is useful,

Regards,

George.

Pavol Facko
by Pavol Facko - Tuesday, 6 August 2013, 2:12 AM

Dear George,

Thanks, but unfortunatly the information was not helpful. The second link, from Joe Deegan, seems to be helpful but I can not do this setting in totara (at least the setttings are called different).

Is there no option to just unable the possibility to not track the result? This makes the exams much to easy. The learners can go trough the questions without getting tracked and wen they know all the correct answers they start a new attempt instead of learning the content and then going through the exam.

Regards Stefan

me
by George Angus - Tuesday, 6 August 2013, 3:55 PM
Group Totara

Hi Stefan,

Thanks for the feedback! What you can do is set "Force New Attempt" to yes in the SCORM settings, and disable prevew mode. It is not possible to disable the Review - but you can track results. 

hope this is useful,

regards,

George.