Best practice forum (Archived)

Automatic Courses, Programs and Plans Enrolment

Umberto Zaccaro
Automatic Courses, Programs and Plans Enrolment
by Umberto Zaccaro - Monday, 26 August 2013, 9:04 AM
Group Partners

Hi everybody,

I'm making an audience to enroll users to courses, programs and plan in automatic mode.

It seems all works fine but I encountered this issue. If manager launches record of learning for his team member he can see courses and programs for him but if manager launches the plan link he can not view courses and program as set in audience.

So, could you help me to understand the correct way to enroll users to courses, program and plan at the same time but with courses and programs linked to plan correctly.

Thank you very much in advance to all

kind Regards

Umberto

me
Re: Automatic Courses, Programs and Plans Enrolment
by George Angus - Monday, 26 August 2013, 8:44 PM
Group Totara

Hi Umberto,

Its not possible to enrol Learners into Programs and Courses in a Learning Plan via an Audience as yet, they will appear in the learner's Required Learning; the tabs in Audience do not mean the Courses and Programs are pulled through into the Learning Plan in the last tab, the learning plan there is merely a template. The content of the Learning Plan is dictated by the competencies and associated hierachy items (position & Organisation) - Programs have to be added into the Learning Plan by the Learner's manager. 

So any Courses/Programs assigned via an audience will not populate the Learning Plan.

hope this is useful.

regards,

George.

Umberto Zaccaro
by Umberto Zaccaro - Tuesday, 27 August 2013, 12:37 AM
Group Partners

Hi George,

thank you for your information. I'd like to know if, when you say "...as yet", you refer new features, available in next future, or it is just an intention.

Our problem is this: manager is able to assign courses to team members and these courses with programs have to be completed in a specific time. The learning plan is very useful for this management. Unfortunatly it is not possible manage a lot of users manually and we need to set audience for this..

If is there another way to manage this, please, let me know.

Thank you very much indeed.

Kind Regards

Umberto

Umberto Zaccaro
by Umberto Zaccaro - Tuesday, 27 August 2013, 3:35 AM
Group Partners

Hi George,

if we use competencies it is possible to get the outcame but the problem is about programs.

Do you think will be possible in next future to add "Assign program completion" to competencies?

In this manner we can avoid to use audience completly and mostly user can reach all his courses and programs at the same page.

Thank you very much.

Kind Regards

Umberto

Umberto Zaccaro
by Umberto Zaccaro - Wednesday, 28 August 2013, 3:35 AM
Group Partners

Hi George,

at the end of my little analisys to get my outcame I have to do many tasks.

I upload my students by Totara sync. (In every record I set a user's position and I use this position on audience to assign correct courses, program and learning plan)

Then I run cron to assign courses via audience

Then I have to save Program Assignement to link Program set in audience to users (this is very strange, if I don't save, for every upload, Program Assignement, users are not linked with Program defined in audience, strange)

Then I have to make a new Learning Plan on my audience to assign it to my uploaded users (learning plan is not assigned automatically as a courses).

After these I have users with courses, programs and learning plans assigned but, as said on previous comment, courses and programs are not in Learning Plan.

Do you think it is possible to face some of these steps to work automatically? Do you consider my request is very particular or, instead, this is a common need?

Let me know any comment on this.

Thank you very much

Kind Regards

me
by George Angus - Wednesday, 28 August 2013, 9:03 PM
Group Totara

Hi Umberto,

There are no concrete plans to include Program enrolment into Learning plans via Audiences. The Learning plan was not designed for the purpose you seem to be using it for. Audiences and Programs can have due dates set easily and feedback can be monitored effectively by the manager/admin using the My Team tab, or the Report builder.

"Then I have to save Program Assignement to link Program set in audience to users (this is very strange, if I don't save, for every upload, Program Assignement, users are not linked with Program defined in audience, strange)" Im not sure what you mean here - could you clarify thanks?

All the learning outside of the Learnin Plan can be seen in the Required Learning of the User, its not necessary for everything to be assigned to the LP. I think maybe Im missing something - could you get back with more details of what you require?

regards,

George.

Umberto Zaccaro
by Umberto Zaccaro - Friday, 30 August 2013, 6:22 AM
Group Partners

Hi George,

thank you for your reply.
First of all I'd like to clarify about program, course and LP. Probably you can suggest a different solution for our need. In our case all users are enrolled, at the beginning of the year, to different sets of course and program. To be more clear some users have to complete course A, course B, course C + Program X. Other people have to complete course A, course D, course F + Program Y. To complicate this, managers, during the year, can assign more courses to their team members.

We thought to use LP, to monitor all these items for students. So, at the beginning of the year, all users will be enrolled to specific LP with courses and programs, during the year, manager can enroll team members to other courses that will put in personal LP.

We appreciate more solutions on this.

About Program Assignement, I list all steps in attached file.

I hope it is more clear.

Thank you very much for your support.

Kind Regards

Umberto

me
by George Angus - Sunday, 1 September 2013, 8:41 PM
Group Totara

Hi Umberto,

The issue here is the Program enrolment cron - its run very 24 hours based on the last run, so when you run cron you set back the Program enrolment 24 hours. If you can test this youll see what I mean.

Also I think it may be more efficient to use the "Position start date" as the ruleset in creating the audience for new learners - this means you can pick them up automatically rather than assigning them a position.

regards,

George.