Best practice forum (Archived)

updating quiz questions

James Igoe
updating quiz questions
by James Igoe - Thursday, 12 September 2013, 8:24 AM

Due to legislation changes, I am often required to update quiz questions.When I do this I create a duplicate quiz, I hide the old quiz in an orphaned topic and change the completion settings. The completion settings need to be changed as the completion is based on the new quiz rather than any previous quizzes.

This means that grades for the new quiz are blank and I have to manually copy the grades from the previous quiz over to the new one. See screenshot to illustrate this process.
The problems with this method of updating quiz questions are:

• It's time consuming
  • It's prone to human error
  • It's potentially a waste of time if some data does not need to be passed over as the trainee has left.

Do you have to change your quiz questions periodically? If so, do you use the same procedure as me? If not, please let me know as there's a decent chance that your method is better.

Your help would be appreciated.

Kind regardsJames

me
Re: updating quiz questions
by George Angus - Thursday, 12 September 2013, 6:51 PM
Group Totara

Hi James,

What about creating a back up then restoring? You can keep the grades and edit the questions.

regards,

George.

Ryan O'Malley
by Ryan O'Malley - Friday, 13 September 2013, 2:51 AM

Hi George,

Is is possible to restore just the grades & not the individual attempts? When I try this method it locks the questions on the restored version.

Ryan

me
by George Angus - Sunday, 15 September 2013, 4:04 PM
Group Totara

Hi Ryan,

I could edit the attempts under the Current Course>Activity>Results, and I could also edit the questions under Quiz admin> Edit Quiz.

Could you send my a ss of your back & restore settings?

regards,

George.

James Igoe
by James Igoe - Friday, 20 September 2013, 6:25 AM

Hi George 

Thanks for your answer. I didn't know this was a way to keep the grades and edit the questions.

Would restoring the file create another version of the quiz on the system? If so, I don't think backing up and restoring is a possible solution as we regularly change quiz questions. The size of the question bank and version control would become unmanageable. 

If there is a way to archive quizzes while retaining the grades and individual question results then that method could be a useful solution. 

If not, could you suggest an alternative method? I'll stick to the rudimentary method I'm currently using otherwise.

Kind regards

James

me
by George Angus - Sunday, 22 September 2013, 4:15 PM
Group Totara

Hi Jamie,

Can I ask why you are copying grades into new questions?  Surely just using RPL would be better? 

cheers,

George.

James Igoe
by James Igoe - Monday, 23 September 2013, 5:50 AM

Hi George

You're right - RPL is the best way to do this. We will stop copying grades over from quiz to quiz for all the reasons I outlined earlier.

Thanks for your asisistance.

James