Best practice forum (Archived)

Course Restriction

Michelle Naylor
Course Restriction
by Michelle Naylor - Thursday, 19 September 2013, 1:08 AM

Hi All,

We are currently on Version 2.2.19.

Within our company we have 4 separate divisions. 

E.G

Division 1

Division 2

Division 3

Division 4

Are we able to create course pages and ‘lock them down’ so only, for example, Division 1 can access this and the other 3 divisions are unable to enrol or see this?

Many Thanks

Chelle

David Curry (Core Developer)
Re: Course Restriction
by David Curry (Core Developer) - Thursday, 19 September 2013, 2:00 PM
Group Totara

Hey Michelle,

We have a feature coming in 2.5 that should help, it restircts visibility of courses based on audiences (more on how it works here: https://totara.community/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=17343#p12942 ) so if you can put your divisions into audiences you could controll what courses they see,

Hope thats what you are looking for.

Cheers,
David

Michelle Naylor
by Michelle Naylor - Friday, 20 September 2013, 1:51 AM

Hi David,

Thank you for your response. 2.5 is looking good for us.

Does this mean that, if we choose Division 1 and 2 they will automatically be enrolled or just will have visibility?

I have read the link you sent through and there is a lot on there for me to take in lol.

I am just looking for course visibility for different divisions and then if wanted for the individual within that division to be able to enrol themselves or even for us to assign, for example all HR in Division 1 to be automatically enrolled.

Many Thanks

Chelle

David Curry (Core Developer)
by David Curry (Core Developer) - Sunday, 22 September 2013, 2:36 PM
Group Totara

Hey Michelle,

They will just have visibility. Though if you have put the divisions into an audience to set up the visibility it is then quite easy to enrol via audience sync (enrolling the whole audience in a class). Or turn on manual enrollments, which would allow anyone who can see the course to enrol themselves. If there are 2 Divisions that can see the course there is currently no way to have manual enrolment on for one and not for the other.

Cheers,
David

Michelle Naylor
by Michelle Naylor - Tuesday, 22 October 2013, 2:51 AM

Thanks for your response on this.

Chelle