Best practice forum (Archived)

Use of Secondary Position

Daniel Bond
Use of Secondary Position
by Daniel Bond - Thursday, 10 October 2013, 3:59 AM
Group Most helpful contributor 2023

Due to the way that our organisation is structured, some staff have two roles. With the Performance Management features of 2.5, we are intending to use Totara as our platform for annual reviews, so all staff need to be set up with a manager for their role. If a staff member has two roles, they currently have two accounts so that they can have two managers and receive two annual reviews. I know there is a "Primary Position" and "Secondary Position" functionality but at the moment only the primary position appears to be useful for this purpose. Are there any plans to modify this functionality so that "Secondary Position" works in a similar way to primary position, because it would make the administrative side of having multiple roles vastly easier!

This forum post has been removed
Thursday, 10 October 2013, 4:18 AM
The content of this forum post has been removed and can no longer be accessed.
Steph Wild
Re: Use of Secondary Position
by Steph Wild - Thursday, 10 October 2013, 5:37 AM
Group Learn Site Administrator

We are also in the same position with many of our staff having 2 separate roles within the organisation.  If we could also assign a manager to their secondary role thus displaying their details in both managers 'My Teams' tab and allowing reporting functionality it would make our lives alot easier.

? ?
by ? ? - Thursday, 10 October 2013, 6:08 AM

Another perspective, and I would be interested to hear if this is at all common — we have seen an organisation where users may have two managers. We had to do some recoding so that both primary and secondary manager could see "My Team". The users don't actually have two positions, their Secondary Position and Organisation are the same as Primary, only the Manager is different.

me
by George Angus - Thursday, 10 October 2013, 6:56 PM
Group Totara

Hi folks,

There is a feature request already for this functionality, I have updated it with your comments and raised its priority.

regards,

George.