Best practice forum (Archived)

Feature Request: Make unique email non-mandatory in profiles

Daniel Bond
Feature Request: Make unique email non-mandatory in profiles
by Daniel Bond - Thursday, 10 October 2013, 3:47 AM
Group Most helpful contributor 2023

An odd one I know, and definitely would need to be configuration option rather than the default behaviour, but would it be possible to stop Totara requiring that an email address is unique?

Example: We have a number of users who we don't currently have a valid email address for, so we need to use a generic account and then track them down as they use the system to obtain a valid email address. Currently we have been able to use Totara Sync to set the same email address for all of the accounts, but we can't set individual accounts to use the generic email account.

Example 2: We have some users who need two accounts due to the way our organisation is structured, so both accounts should have the same email address.

As I say, not the normal behaviour but it would be helpful in certain cases.

Dan

Simon Coggins
Re: Feature Request: Make unique email non-mandatory in profiles
by Simon Coggins - Thursday, 10 October 2013, 12:53 PM
Group Totara

Hi Dan,

Yes this has come up with other clients too who want to be able to use the same dummy email address for users who don't have an email within the system.

I do think it would be a good feature to add, but it would require quite a bit of testing to look for areas which rely on email addresses being unique within the system.

I will create an enhancement ticket in our bug tracker.

Simon

Tony Richens
by Tony Richens - Tuesday, 15 October 2013, 1:15 AM
Group Partners

Hi Simon,

I 'second' this feature request as we often make a code-level change to remove the requirement for email to be mandatory as well as removing the need for an email to be unique.

Though a side-point... as this is standard Moodle functionality, should a feature request be fed back to Moodle HQ for inclusion in a later release of Moodle?

Tony

Simon Coggins
by Simon Coggins - Tuesday, 15 October 2013, 3:55 PM
Group Totara

Hi Tony,

From our point of view we'd like it to go into Moodle too, there are clearly other people who feel the same, e.g.:

https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=96114

However, moodle closed a bug suggesting this feature as WONTFIX:

Obviously we'll have to get around the issues they mention with our fix so I'm tempted to try reopening the bug and see what they say.

Simon