Best practice forum (Archived)

Global Search

Liz Katz
Global Search
by Liz Katz - Wednesday, 16 October 2013, 8:50 AM

I apologize in advance for the basic question. In the Total help it says I can turn on the Global Search block by going here:  Home > Administration > Plugins > Blocks > Global Search. However, I find nothing there as you can see from the screenshot. I also looked under Manage Plugins. Not there either.

Can someone point out the incredibly obvious thing I'm missing?  :-) 

Thank you.

me
Re: Global Search
by George Angus - Wednesday, 16 October 2013, 2:08 PM
Group Totara

Hi Liz,

1) Please dont apologise for using the forums - this is what the are for.

2) You are not missing anything at all - the Help in this case is out of date, and you are completely right. Thanks for spotting this - I'll update.

Global Search was phased out after v1 I believe because it took so long. Could you tell me what version you are using and what you are searching for?

regards,

George.

Liz Katz
by Liz Katz - Wednesday, 16 October 2013, 3:23 PM

Thank you George.

1. No more apolgies. 

2. I'm looking to Search functionality because tags don't do what I want. I'd like to have users be able to put in key word... say "housing"... and get list of all the courses, resources, and database entries that contain that word in the title. 

I'm on a sandbox server using 2.4.8. I'll be rolling out Totara on my live site in December with whatever happens to be the current version at the time.

Best,

Liz

me
by George Angus - Thursday, 17 October 2013, 5:03 PM
Group Totara

Hi Liz,

1) My understanding is there are moves afoot to reintroduce the global search in Moodle 2.6/2.7 also there is work going on with an enhanced catalogue capability, but I couldnt give any dates.

2) As a workaround in the meantime would it be possible for you to make customised reports availble to the user under the "My reports" tab? 

cheers,

George.

Liz Katz
by Liz Katz - Thursday, 17 October 2013, 5:31 PM

Hi George,

I think having a report for each common topic would work. I could have a list of links on a 'topics' page that would each go to a report on that topic. However, I have no idea how to set up a report that would search the titles of all the courses, resources, and database entries. Any tips?

Liz

me
by George Angus - Thursday, 17 October 2013, 7:12 PM
Group Totara

Hi Liz,

I think a making a course report available to Learners (under My Reports) would go some way to solving this. If you have the filters set (for example) to include "Course name and Summary" & "Course Content" then that would cover resources if Im reading you right. Could you be a bit more specific about "database entries"?

cheers,

George.

Liz Katz
by Liz Katz - Friday, 18 October 2013, 7:49 AM

Thank you all for the ideas and information.

The databases are resource directories. Using my 'housing' example, in one database there are entries on different programs---some of these will relate to housing. A dffierent database has entries about organizations and a few of these have a focus on providing housing. Another 'class' might have been titled working with people that have criminal backgrounds," but have a section of the training related to housing-- there would be atopic header and documents. 

My ideal is that for the housing topic there would be links to each of the database entries, the resources that pertain to housing and any courses specifically on that topic. 

Best,

Liz

Amir Elion
by Amir Elion - Friday, 18 October 2013, 12:32 AM

Hi Liz,

First of all, it seems like Global Search will coming back to Moodle 2.6 (and hence to Totara 2.6?) - see here: https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-31989

In the meantime, you might be able to use another approach. I believe custom course fields content is being search via course search. So - if you create a custom filed to hold any relevant information that you want to be searchable (e.g. course topics, course detailed materials description, etc.) that might show up the course when user search for courses.

Amir

Simon Coggins
by Simon Coggins - Friday, 18 October 2013, 1:01 AM
Group Totara

Actually it looks like Global Search missed the Moodle 2.6 feature freeze, see this comment:

https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-31989?focusedCommentId=246375&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-246375

So it's likely to be in Moodle 2.7 and hence Totara 2.7 (which is due to be released in just over a year from now).

Simon