Best practice forum (Archived)

Editing program content

Darren Roberts
Editing program content
by Darren Roberts - Friday, 18 October 2013, 8:09 AM

Hi

I have two courses which are the almost the same but tailored for slightly different audiences (lets call them C1 and C2). I have two programs setup (P1 and P2) where P1 contains C1, and P2 contains C2 (note they also have other differences which is relevant later).

I've now been told that C2 is to be retired and new joiners who get assigned to P2 should do C1 instead of C2.

Can I just remove C2 from P2 and add C1 without impacting anyone who already has an enrollment on P2 and may be mid way through C2? Or do I need to create a new program P3 containing C1 and assign the new joiners that would have gone on P2 to that instead, which will then allow any existing P2 enrolled users to finish C2?

My guess would be that by removing C2 and adding C1 I would be forcing anyone currently active on P2 to have to take and complete C1, even though they may have already completed C2?

The documentation is quite lacking when it comes to consequences of editing or making changes (generally pretty good for how to set things up initially though)

Thanks, Darren

Amir Elion
Re: Editing program content
by Amir Elion - Friday, 18 October 2013, 9:52 AM

Hi Darren

You should be able to do the following.

Create a Dynamic Audience that includes the rule for those who where included in P2 (say the org unit) AND add a rule that excludes those who completed P2 - there's such a rule in audience rules I think.

Then assign the new Audience to P1.

good luck

Amir

Darren Roberts
by Darren Roberts - Friday, 18 October 2013, 11:30 AM

Thanks, but this group can't be assigned to P1 as there are other courses specific to them that aren't in P1 - so I'm left with either being able to modify P2, or create a new P3 that is otherwise identical except it replaces C2 with C1.

me
by George Angus - Sunday, 20 October 2013, 7:56 PM
Group Totara

Hi Darren,

What about making the completion criteria for the Program C1 OR C2? You have to let the new joiners know they should be doing C2, but this means you dont lose the completion data or have to make a new program or audience.

cheers,

George.