Best practice forum (Archived)

Managing course creator and editing trainer access

Fiona Cashmore
Managing course creator and editing trainer access
by Fiona Cashmore - Monday, 4 November 2013, 12:08 PM

We are trying to manage course creator and editing trainer access and can't find how to:

• export a list of who is assigned to each role
  • limit course creator access to a single category

Another question we have from our course creators and editing trainers is how to manage their own records of learning as learners. Currently they see courses they're managing and also participating in. For our site administrators we've set up dual accounts but as we need to have unique email addresses, we'd rather not go this route for our course administrators as it will be too complex to manage long-term. How do others manage this issue?

Craig Eves
Re: Managing course creator and editing trainer access
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Monday, 4 November 2013, 2:29 PM
Group Totara

Hi Fiona

There doesn't seem to be a report source with user roles in it however you can get the information from bulk user actions.

• Site administration > Users > Bulk User actions 
  • Add a filter and use Show advanced > Course role > editing trainer
  • Select Add all to add all users matching filter and choose Download

To apply a role to a single category 

• Site administration > Courses > Manage categories
  • Select category for role > select Edit this category
  • Select Assign roles
  • Select course creator role and assign people you want to be able to create a course in this category

People who are trainer and learners

• It is possible for the same person to be assigned two roles in a course so they can do the course as a learner and also manage other learners in the course. They wouldn't need dual accounts but would be able to change their own grades unless there was a role override so they weren't allowed to 

regards

Craig

Fiona Cashmore
by Fiona Cashmore - Sunday, 10 November 2013, 2:00 PM

Hi Craig

We're trying to limit course creators to only being able to build courses in a specific category "under development". Site administrators would then perform a quick QA function and transfer the course once complete from "under development" category to the category it needs to be in as a live course. Currently our course creators have site-wide course creator access which we need to limit to the one category.

As a second part to that, we then need to link editing trainers to specific courses only and not site-wide which it currently is. Please can you advise how we can achieve these two aims?

Thanks

Fiona

me
by George Angus - Sunday, 10 November 2013, 2:53 PM
Group Totara

Hi Fiona,

If you go into Users>Permissions>Define roles>Course Creator you can edit the context where the role can be assigned, or create a copy and edit that. Same goes for the Editing trainers - you can either edit the role, or create a copy and edit that.

regards,

George.

Fiona Cashmore
by Fiona Cashmore - Sunday, 10 November 2013, 3:08 PM

Thanks George. Yes, I'd come across that part. The bit I couldn't find was how to assign a specific sub-category only. I'd turned off the 'system' function and have category and program selected but it wasn't asking for which category or program. How do I populate that info?

Thanks

Fiona

me
by George Angus - Sunday, 10 November 2013, 6:39 PM
Group Totara

Hi Fiona,

If you click on the category, then under "Settings" there is an Assign Roles option, you can do it there.

cheers,

George.