Best practice forum (Archived)

How to disable Appraisals for now

Liz Katz
How to disable Appraisals for now
by Liz Katz - Monday, 11 November 2013, 8:40 AM

Hello,

I'd like to use Totara 2.5 since the certification feature would be very useful for us. However, we are not the type of organization where Appraisals would be appropriate. I have attempted to hide Appraisal features from users using permissions. However, as you can see in the screenshot, they haven't been removed. This would be very confusing for my users. What can I do?

Thank you!

Liz

Simon Coggins
Re: How to disable Appraisals for now
by Simon Coggins - Monday, 11 November 2013, 1:54 PM
Group Totara

Hi Liz,

As long as a user doesn't have any existing feedbacks or appraisals it's possible to get rid of the "Appraisals" menu item by removing two capabilities from the "Authenticated User" role in the system context:

• totara/hierarchy:viewownpersonalgoal
  • totara/hierarchy:viewowncompanygoal

Unfortunately it doesn't look like we're applying the same rules to the My Team report, so the links you are showing won't be affected.

I'll file a bug and we'll get that fixed (it won't make it into today's release so it will be a couple of weeks).

In the mean time you could change the code to remove them, you would need to edit the function rb_display_user_with_links() in the file totara/reportbuilder/rb_sources/rb_source_user.php. You would want to remove lines 425-429 which currently read:

if (!$tempman || $tempman->id != $USER->id) {
$links .= $appraisal_link.' | ';
}
$links .= $feedback_link.' | ';
$links .= $goal_link.' | ';
$links .= $required_link;

We'll let you know once this is fixed.

Simon

Liz Katz
by Liz Katz - Tuesday, 12 November 2013, 7:31 AM

Thank you Simon!

I'm not launching until the end of December so the timing will work for me.  I appreciate your help!

Best,

Liz

A Eisenberg
by Alan Eisenberg - Tuesday, 12 November 2013, 8:05 AM

Just an FYI to thank you, becasue we need to do the same thing. We had to do a "hide" concept in the menu before 2.5, so this is a big help. I'll look forward to the bug fix. I do believe that the menu system should be more customizable as a whole.

Simon Coggins
by Simon Coggins - Wednesday, 13 November 2013, 1:07 PM
Group Totara

Hi Alan,

We have a feature request to customise the totara menu - I'll add a link to your comment here.

Now that 2.5 is out we're going to start working on some of these smaller features and customising the totara menu is definitely on the to do list.

Simon

A Eisenberg
by Alan Eisenberg - Monday, 18 November 2013, 7:47 AM

Thanks, Simon.

We have to do a lot of customizing to the Totara menu and every upgrade, I have to go back in and redo it all again.

For example, we created our own HELP system and we have a HELP item on the drop down menu. I always have to go back into the code for each update and redo the code. It would be good if that whole menu system was much more flexible (a la Wordpress style or something like that). I'll look forward to that coming out at some future release.

b/r,

Alan

Liz Katz
by Liz Katz - Sunday, 8 December 2013, 5:08 PM

Hi Simon,

Just a note to let you know that even with permissions set as above, users will see "Choose Appraiser" when they set their position.  Is there a manual way to hide this as well?

Thank you!

Liz

Manager

Simon Coggins
by Simon Coggins - Sunday, 8 December 2013, 5:59 PM
Group Totara

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news today, but that isn't currently possible either :-(

It could be removed via a code change to user/position_form.php by removing or commenting out the lines of code between line 294 - 315.

I will add a note to the enhancement request about hiding appraisal to ensure that the appraiser can be hidden on the positions tab too.

Simon

Liz Katz
by Liz Katz - Sunday, 8 December 2013, 6:14 PM

Thank you Simon. 

I'll take a manual code change over no way at all any day of the week. 

Best,

Liz

Ciaran Irvine (Core Developer)
by Ciaran Irvine (Core Developer) - Monday, 6 January 2014, 9:15 PM

We've made a start to adding this functionality with today's (7th January 2014) release of Totara 2.5.5. The ability to hide Appraisals, 360Feedback, Hierarchies and Learning Plans is now configurable from the new "Site Administration -> Totara features" link.