Best practice forum (Archived)

Completion Tracking Begins on Enrollment not included in backup/restore

? ?
Completion Tracking Begins on Enrollment not included in backup/restore
by ? ? - Thursday, 9 January 2014, 8:35 AM

The course setting "Completion Tracking Begins on Enrollment" is not included in a course backup/restore procedure. If you back up a course with this setting enabled, then restore that backup as a new course, that setting is not enabled in the restored course. It probably should be.

This also brings up the question, what other settings in a course might not be getting backed up and restored correctly? Any other completion settings possibly not working in the backup either?

Affected Totara version: 2.5.5

Also, it is interesting that Moodle is removing this setting because "it does nothing." - See https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-26644 That came up when I was searching to see if this is perhaps a Moodle bug. Maybe this setting is more Totara centric than Moodle.

If this is in fact considered a bug, could a Totara representative provide a timeline for bug fix to be released?

Thank you.

? ?
Re: Completion Tracking Begins on Enrollment not included in backup/restore
by ? ? - Thursday, 9 January 2014, 8:59 AM

I remember discovering this in Totara 1.1 / Moodle 1.9 (after it had caused us a lot of problems) but I was pretty sure it was fixed in more recent versions. 

We definitely noted a couple of other things missing too but I can't find my notes on what they were; it was 18 months ago. 

I believe the backup is constructed with information from activity plugins and these tend to change regularly, so really it pays to double check any course backup/restore performed after an upgrade - there may be changes lurking anywhere.

? ?
by ? ? - Thursday, 9 January 2014, 12:24 PM

Yeah Alan that's pretty much it, activities define their own backup/restore procedures which are called in turn by the course backup. When activity modules change, sometimes the backup/restore part gets overlooked, or a very old backup will be missing all sorts of new features and settings that have been added in the interim.

completionstartonenrol is more Totara-specific as we fixed it, then Moodle removed it, so we add it back in when totara_core component is installed.

If it is still not being backed up and restored properly then that's an oversight bug and we'll get it fixed.

? ?
by ? ? - Friday, 10 January 2014, 5:43 AM

Hi Ciaran. Its definitely not being backed-up/restored. This is becoming really critical for a client nearing a go-live date as they use the restore as a templating procedure during their course construction, and it is important that all settings get backed up and restored as they expect. Any info you can provide on a bug fix release date would be helpful for the client.

Thanks.

? ?
by ? ? - Saturday, 11 January 2014, 2:54 PM

Hi Jamie,

It appears that this was a regression introduced in 2.5 as the backup in 2.2 and 2.4 contains the necessary code to backup and restore completionstartonenrol.

I have a patch in review so hopefully it will be included in the next 2.5 release.

? ?
by ? ? - Monday, 20 January 2014, 9:12 PM

A fix for this issue was included in today's (21st January 2014) release of Totara 2.5.6