Best practice forum (Archived)

Course Pre-requisites

Georgina Christodoulou
Course Pre-requisites
by Georgina Christodoulou - Monday, 13 January 2014, 2:46 PM
Group PartnersGroup TXP Site Administrator

Hi all,

I want to set up a course that can only be accessed after 2 other courses have been completed by a selected cohort (not everyone will be required to do the course).

How can i set something like this up - Can you point me in the right direction, I couldn't find any documentation that could help me.

Thanks

Gina

Jamie Kramer
Re: Course Pre-requisites
by Jamie Kramer - Tuesday, 14 January 2014, 7:03 AM

My understanding is that this would typically be done via Programs, but I have had requests to have course pre-requisites outside of programs. The closest thing I have found is course co-requisites, whereby in order to receive a completion record in a course it can be required that another course(s) are complete (and this is not per audience either).

Ciaran Irvine (Core Developer)
by Ciaran Irvine (Core Developer) - Tuesday, 14 January 2014, 12:37 PM

Yeah Jamie is right, the normal way that this would be done is to create a Program with two course sets. Have the first two courses in the first course set, and the third course in a second course set, make sure the connecting clause between the two sets is "then" not "or".

Then on the assignments tab you can add an Audience to the program.

Everyone in the audience should then be able to access the first two courses, but only be able to access the third once they have completed the first course set.

Jamie Kramer
by Jamie Kramer - Friday, 17 January 2014, 2:01 PM

With that said, I'm having people ask me for course prerequisites without using programs.

Ciaran Irvine (Core Developer)
by Ciaran Irvine (Core Developer) - Monday, 20 January 2014, 5:55 PM

Yeah it's a long-standing feature request in Moodle but there doesn't seem to be much recent activity on it

https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-22648

If we get the chance we might take a look at the half-finished patch on the Moodle tracker, see how much work it would be to get it production ready, make sure it doesn't cause horrible side-effects elsewhere ;-) and then maybe add it to Totara core and upstream it to Moodle

Ryan O'Malley
by Ryan O'Malley - Tuesday, 21 January 2014, 1:56 AM

Have you tried the "Only cohort members" option in the self-enrolment method (at the course level)?

Create an audience based on users who have completed your prerequisite courses, then select that audience in the self enrolment settings. In theory (I've not tested it), that would restrict users from self-enrolling until they've completed the prerequities.

Regards,

Ryan