Best practice forum (Archived)

Multi-lingual Report Filters

Joseph Muldoon
Multi-lingual Report Filters
by Joseph Muldoon - Wednesday, 15 January 2014, 7:36 AM

Hi, 

I have created a number of custom profile fields in multi-lingual site which are being used as filters in a report. However, when running the report, the filters are not displaying in the local language and instead displaying the full string:

e.g. instead of 'englishFilter', it is showing 'englishFilter frenchFilter, germalFilter'

Is this a known issue and is there plans to resolve this?

Regards,

Joe

Ciaran Irvine (Core Developer)
Re: Multi-lingual Report Filters
by Ciaran Irvine (Core Developer) - Thursday, 16 January 2014, 3:00 PM

Hi Joseph,

This works for me in 2.4 and 2.5, what version of Totara are you using?

If I have text or textarea type user profile custom fields, and enter data as the multilang filter expects

http://docs.moodle.org/20/en/Multi-language_content_filter

i.e.

<span lang="en" class="multilang">english text</span><span lang="nl" class="multilang">Dutch text</span>

Then if I add that column and filter to a report in reportbuilder, the value of the field is displayed in whatever the language of the user viewing the report is.

Could you provide more information on how you have set up the profile fields, and the report?

Joseph Muldoon
by Joseph Muldoon - Friday, 17 January 2014, 1:25 AM

Hi Ciaran,

Thanks for getting back to me. I am running Totara v2.4.15. I believe the custom profile fields are set up correctly as they appear in the correct language in other locations around the site (e.g on the self registration page) but not when they are displayed as filters a standard reportbuilder report. 

The profile field 'Mentor'' has been defined as such: <span lang="EN" class="multilang">Mentor</span><span lang="ES" class="multilang">Mentor</span><span lang="pt_br" class="multilang">Conselheiro</span>

The attached image shows the view when running the report (both as an adminstrator and as a regular user). As you can see, all three languages are displayed one after each other. 

I've ensured the multi-language content filter is turned on and applied to content and headings.

Any ideas? Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Joe 

by Ciaran Irvine (Core Developer) - Monday, 20 January 2014, 2:05 PM

Ah I see Joe, you are using the multilang spans in the name of the customfield, not just the values.

Yes, this is an oversight and the field names are not run through the filters currently. However they should be, so I'll file a bug report and we'll get this fixed for the upcoming releases.

Joseph Muldoon
by Joseph Muldoon - Thursday, 23 January 2014, 1:39 AM

Hi Ciaran, 

That's great, thanks. When is the next release due?

Regards,

Joe

by Ciaran Irvine (Core Developer) - Thursday, 23 January 2014, 12:57 PM

Next releases are 2.5 on the 4th Feb, and 2.4 on the 11th

by Ciaran Irvine (Core Developer) - Sunday, 2 February 2014, 7:57 PM

Hi Joseph,

the 2.4 version of this fix was released ahead of schedule today in version 2.4.16.1, which we released early because of a flaw in 2.4.16 where the display of hierarchies was unreadable. There should also be a 2.5 release tomorrow.

Moises Burgos
by Moises Burgos - Monday, 3 February 2014, 8:12 PM

Hi Joseph,

A patch for this issue has been included in Totara 2.5.7 release.

Moises