Best practice forum (Archived)

Assign a competency to a course

Marta Santamaria
Assign a competency to a course
by Marta Santamaria - Thursday, 6 February 2014, 3:06 AM

Hi,

I'd like to assign a competency (or some competencies) to a course. When the student passes the course, they should automatically achieve the competency.

In more detail, it should be possible to assign this competency to several courses, and when the student passes any ot these courses, they achieve the competency.

Is there any way to do this?

Thanks in advance,

Marta

Ciaran Irvine (Core Developer)
Re: Assign a competency to a course
by Ciaran Irvine (Core Developer) - Thursday, 6 February 2014, 6:50 PM

Hi Marta,

Yes of course - if you look at the individual Competencies there is a section "Evidence items" and here you can assign courses which have course completion enabled, as either Mandatory or Optional courses for achieving the competency.

So you assign courses to the competencies, and then when students complete all the courses that are mandatory for a competency they should achieve the competency. Also you can then add Competencies to a learner's Learning Plan, and that will automatically pull all the courses that are linked to that Competency into the Learning Plan.

You can also assign competencies to Positions and Organisations in the same way, and if you modify the Learning Plan template to enable the "Automatically assign by position" and "Automatically assign by organisation" and "Include linked courses" options in the Competencies tab of the Workflow in the Template, then any competencies linked to the position or organisation of the learner will also have their appropriate courses pulled into the plan automatically.

You should check out http://help.totaralms.com for more details

Marta Santamaria
Re: Assign a competency to a course
by Marta Santamaria - Thursday, 20 February 2014, 1:42 AM

Thank you, Ciaran,

I think it was what I needed.

B/w,

Marta