Best practice forum (Archived)

Automatic Notification Templates

Steph Wild
Automatic Notification Templates
by Steph Wild - Friday, 31 January 2014, 3:38 AM
Group Learn Site Administrator

Hi,

I've created a number of notification templates at Site Admin. level and added them to all my face to face activities as appropriate.  I have then had to change the templates slightly but this does not seem to be reflected in the notifications which are being sent out they still reflect the original template - I don't have to reset notifications in all my activities again do I?

Also I have some courses where I want to add some additional information pertinent to that session and this has been added to the 'Details' section in the session.  I set up the templates with a [details] section assuming but that this is where the additional information would appear but it actually appears in the iCal attachment is this normal behaviour? 

S...

? ?
Re: Automatic Notification Templates
by ? ? - Sunday, 2 February 2014, 1:34 PM

Hi Steph,

I think the actual text of each notification is stored at the course level, so any notifications set up using old templates will be unchanged, you would have to go into each F2F activity and modify the old notification records. As an admin, click on the F2F activity name in the course, then see Administration-> Facetoface administraion-> Notifications.

A [details] section in the notification should be replaced with the contents of the session details field (and anything in session details is also added to the iCal description) but again you need to check the actual notifications that have been set up at the course/F2F level to make sure they have the [details] section.

Steph Wild
by Steph Wild - Tuesday, 4 February 2014, 3:00 AM

Hi Ciairan,

Thanks for the response. 

I'll alter the F2f sessions accordingly with the new template details but I would have thought that any alteration to an existing template would automatically be picked up by any courses using that template.  Is this something Totara are looking to change at all?

I've also had a look at how we've set things up and the [details] section is present in the notification however the text entered in the session details does only appeared in the iCal appt. and not in the notification itself?

Steph

? ?
by ? ? - Tuesday, 4 February 2014, 5:14 PM

Hi Steph,

by coincidence someone else today went delving into the mysteries of Facetoface notification templates, and it does look like the issue is confusing at best and really needs to be rewritten. You might get some useful info from this post though

https://totara.community/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=16485

Maybe that also explains the [details] issue, if changing the templates doesn't actually do anything!

Steph Wild
by Steph Wild - Wednesday, 5 February 2014, 1:57 AM

Thanks Ciairan,

I've had a look at the other post and it is very useful, I'll switch to using that post for future postings to keep all the notifications issues together.

Steph