Best practice forum (Archived)

This forum discussion has been removed

This forum post has been removed
Wednesday, 19 February 2014, 1:45 PM
The content of this forum post has been removed and can no longer be accessed.
? ?
Re: Backing up Appraisals
by ? ? - Thursday, 20 February 2014, 4:19 AM

We have also been wondering about this but I think the answer is that appraisals can easily we duplicated as a means of backup. Until they are activated, users will not see how many draft copies you have lying around. A downloadable backup could be useful though for transferring to another site.

I was also wondering if appraisals have any relation to moodle's quiz? In that case there would be a hidden functionality for exporting question banks. However I suspect the similarity is superficial. 

Overall I've been very impressed with how easy it is to duplicate questions, drag them between pages, copy permissions to the next question, etc. Clearly a lot of thought has gone into usability. Thanks!

Nathan Lewis
by Nathan Lewis - Thursday, 20 February 2014, 12:42 PM
Group Totara

Hi Maurice and Alan.

As you've seen, there's no way to externally backup appraisals at the moment. There aren't any sneaky hidden ways either.

In other modules (quiz is probably an applicable example), when you copy an object, it may be using the backup and restore functionality to perform the copy. In appraisals, copy is achieved by running some code which just copies the contents, so the backup and restore functionality has never been implemented (it was never part of the specification and I don't think anyone even thought of it during development - I never heard it mentioned).

I can't see any reason why the method of doing backup and restore in other modules can't be reused in appraisals. It'll take a bit of work, but it shouldn't be too difficult (although appraisals are probably more complex than anything that's been backed up previously). And the interface will need to be updated to include backup and restore.

I'll put in a feature request for this. As usual, new features won't arrive until the following big release (e.g. 2.X) and I'm not sure when it'll get started. 2.6 is coming up soon so it's unlikely that you'll see it until 2.7 at the earliest. Although, if anyone wants to implement this feature (and I could provide some advice about how to go about it) and have it added to core Totara then this is a feature that we'd be interested in looking at.

Nathan

This forum post has been removed
Sunday, 24 August 2014, 3:30 PM
The content of this forum post has been removed and can no longer be accessed.
me
by George Angus - Sunday, 24 August 2014, 4:41 PM
Group Totara

Hi Maurice,

All our resources are pretty much focused on 2.7 & other commitments at present, given the relative low demand for this feature its unlikely any significant progress will be made on it in the upcoming period.

George.