Best practice forum (Archived)

Report - Forward Bookings

Suzanne Duncan
Report - Forward Bookings
by Suzanne Duncan - Wednesday, 12 February 2014, 1:17 PM

Hi - we have a report that shows forward bookings of courses for staff for managers to be able to provide cover and rosters.  A new manager only seems to see staff that booked after she started work as the manager.  Can anyone tell me why this should be person date/dependent and not just reporting at the manager level?

me
Re: Report - Forward Bookings
by George Angus - Wednesday, 12 February 2014, 6:24 PM
Group Totara

Hi Suzanne,

Can you tell me what v you are using, and could you supply a screenshot of the report output - I couldnt recreate, you are using the face-2-face report source?

regards,

George.

Ciaran Irvine (Core Developer)
by Ciaran Irvine (Core Developer) - Thursday, 13 February 2014, 4:29 PM

Hi Suzanne,

How are you trying to restrict the content in the content tab of the report settings? There are already content restrictions based on either the manager's position, organisation, or in the User section all those who are direct reports of the manager.

None of those are supposed to be dependent on the date the manager was appointed. Are you seeing different behaviour?

by Ciaran Irvine (Core Developer) - Tuesday, 18 February 2014, 8:33 PM

Hi Suzanne - I'm still having trouble replicating this.

I created a F2F session, then added 2 users who did not have a manager assigned.

Then I edited another 2 users to make a particular user their manager

Then added them to the F2F session

Then set the manager of the first two users to be the same as the manager user.

Finally add another user with a different manager to the session.

So at this point there are 5 bookings on the F2F, 4 of them are the manager's staff, but two of them booked onto the F2F before the manager was appointed.

Then I created a Facetoface session report in Reportbuilder.

On the "Content" tab of the report, I first selected "Show records matching all of the checked criteria below"

Then in the "Show by the user" section I checked the "Show records based on the user" checkbox, and checked the "Records for user's direct reports" radio button.

Finally on the "Access" tab I checked "Only certain users can view this report (see below)", set the dropdown to "Users may have role in ANY context", and checked the "Staff Manager" role.

In this way, every manager in the system will have access to this report, which should show only their current direct reports, regardless of when they booked. And that is what I am seeing.

Are you trying to do this a different way? And what version of Totara are you on as it is possible you may be on an old version and this is a bug that has previously been fixed (I was testing on the latest 2.5.8)

by Ciaran Irvine (Core Developer) - Tuesday, 4 March 2014, 5:52 PM

[after Suzanne contacting by email, on version 2.4.16.1]

Sorry Suzanne but I've followed your screenshots and set this up on 2.4.16.1 and 2.5.9 and it all just works, and I see all the users I would expect to see. And I can't see anything in the code that would exclude users based on the time of their manager assignment.

I notice you are using Organisation restrictions plus the Direct Reports restrictions plus the Future restriction. Is there an issue where some users have the manager set but are still in a different branch of the Org tree and that is why the manager cannot see them in the report? Or indeed the other way around where the users are in the right branch of the tree but are not assigned to the manager.

I'm not sure what to advise at this stage because if the users and managers and report are all set up OK it just seems to work for me.